TIDAL to add 'millions' of Master Quality (MQA) Tracks

Bentley have Naim audio systems in them.

I think in you statistics you forget about in which segment we are here. From an audio perspective 99% of the car buyers listen music on their under 10$ ear plugs. So, your statistics do not reflect what is the priority in 50-250k car market. This by the way is ‘translated’ the Roon market. And then there might be some freaks…

1 Like

Also the extra fidelity and satisfaction to the owner of knowing this fact. He can really enjoy this when parked at the Chip Shop or where ever waiting on SWMBO :joy:

The funny thing is, I have never paid anything for MQA content over and above the equipment I would own regardless of MQA… hmmmm

1 Like

Well that makes his point for him :smiley:

Regardless, 9 out of 10 car buyers haven’t got a f’in clue who Naim/Mark Levinson/B&W are. The audiophile separates market is tiny.

The only danger (real, big and scary) here is the unbelievable amount of uneducated ears that the music industry is constantly and successfully filling with…

For those Tesla, MQA and Tidal lovers my sources confirm that Tesla will indeed be doing both rendering and decoding in the car and they will start to roll out this functionality before the end of the year…they move blindingly fast versus normal car companies…

4 Likes

I’m having the same problem with my iOS app using CarPlay.

I’m told it’s a Tidal problem – as Tidal designed the app for off-line listening to music on its service. I believe the source of the problem to be tracks of different hi resolutions in the same playlist and when it moves for example from a 192 to a 96 track, for example, it stops playing. You may want to contact support.

This is an interesting couple of articles ref MQA and 16b files.

5 Likes

This should be required reading.

1 Like

Seconded - that should be required reading. I know CONTROVERSY. But that was super helpful.

3 Likes

This is an example of an album recorded in 16 bit.

Can anyone explain how this album ends up like this in 24/88,2 ?

Has MQA made a mistake?
Or hasn’t Roon got latest decoding SW ?
Maybe MQA has started with up-sampling as a hidden feature only available to Roon ?

Nothing is amiss. Look at the Source and Authentication steps. Both confirm 44.1 kHz ORFS.

AJ

I miss posted this in another thread…

Not sure what that has to do with any processing that is occurring.

1 Like

What processing? That Signal Path screenshot shows just MQA Core Decoder standard operating procedure. If you have not noticed that the past several years, then you have not been paying attention.

AJ

Please explain how a 16 bit recoding transform to 24/88.2 file in the MQA decoder ?
The MQA decoder doesn’t do up sampling AFAIK. Only unfolding.

The other example is Donald Fagan Nightfly. It was recorded in 16 bit as well, but later upsampled and issued 24/48 on Qobuz and HDtracks.

Here MQA is correct and unfold to 24/96. A 16 bit MQA can’t unfold.

See above. Again, if you have not noticed this, then you have not been paying attention. MQA Core Decoder has been doing this from the outset on any and all 44.1 kHz files. Similar 96 kHz output on any and all 48 kHz files.

AJ

You must have a 24 bit file in order to unfold.

He doesn’t mention unfolding a 16 bit here. Do you have any other documentation?

What is ORFS ?