Tidal understands HiRes as MQA. That is problematic

I share that opinion.
But thats why MQA is useless for me.

I think if Apple does not apply MQA it is dead.
That is the whole game now.

Remember thatā€™s in my system, doing first unfold only.

As for useless: itā€™s a nice upgrade for albums I currently own in Redbook and it will save me a good chunk of cash in HiRes downloads from now on.

Sorry. I am not firm with the different unfolding strategies.
I use Qobuz and buy ECM discounted from them. Plain 24bit.
I said: Useless for me.

You might let him know, that he should be more receptive to change.
He is active on the CA forum.

Which, of course, is perfectly fine.

Iā€™ve been there with Qobuz, but I dislike the apps and the lack of Roon integration is a major dealbreaker. Sublime+/discounted downloads donā€™t really work for me (oftentimes, HiRes ECM is priced higher at Qobuz to begin with) and Sublime is not exactly free.

So MQA for me: better in some cases, not worse in others, together with full Roon integration from streaming: win.

Iā€™ll rebuild my library from Tidal over the holidays, just to see where it goes. If anything, it will be a nice little litmus test for streaming. :slight_smile:

I do a regular price comparison Qobuz and other Download Services.
My usual savings are some 20%. But I subscribe to the Qobuz High Res service.
You have to buy some stuff to get the benefits because you pay ā‚¬ 350 a year.

I am very interested in your findingsā€¦

Some more:

Yes running Qobuz extra beside Roon is inconvinient.
But until now the joy of doing that outweighs the pain.

I also run JRiver for SACD Isos.

Roon is far away being a one stop shop for me.

That is OK. I am sure he knows where he sits in the chain, and I am sure that if MQA did become important to his success he would adopt it like a long lost brother. It is, after all business as well as art.

He says no serious engineersā€¦ yet their website lists titles that are MQA. Not very credible.

In another forum, users of our products reported the same: many (but not all) Tidal MQA albums sound better than corresponding Tidal HiFi albums. I see the possibility of different master as a pro, not a con - MQA has always said they use the best master.

To me it looks like that MQA fraud will come to an end sooner than later.

Donā€™t hold your breath. This was only launched with any real access to music, software and hardware last January. Barely 11 months. It will take another couple of years for the industry to assess the impact on their sales and the reaction of the general public. There is a lot at stake so willing it to fail wonā€™t speed things up either way.

There is nothing wrong with the Meridian dac. It actually gets good reviews for a $200 dac.
All three major studios have signed in to MQA but it remains to be seen what will happen with it.
The anti-MQA screeds are boring and typically from people who havenā€™t even listened to it or just dump on everything new.

1 Like

I think we all get your opinion already, you donā€™t like MQA at all and it useless for you.
Move on, itā€™s already tiring.

6 Likes

If you cant stand an opinion that is not like yours simply dont read it.

1 Like

I can stand your opinion, it just gets very tiresome when you keep going on like a broken record.
The repetitive ranting doesnā€™t change it from being anything else than just your opinion,
which was clear since long ago.

BTW, it goes both ways, if you donā€™t like me critiquing your endless ranting, you can choose not to tell the same thing over and over again.

Move on, already!

3 Likes

For me its the best time to discuss that project.
No time to move on.
Also an audio forum is a good place for that.

Youā€™re not discussing, you are broadcasting and you even said it was useless for You.
If so, isnā€™t about time you move on?

2 Likes

I found an interesting interview from an audio engineer about his MQA thoughts.
Was an interesting read. That was the discussion today.

As I said no time to move to anywhere. I will stay with you.

1 Like