Time to ditch iTunes - but how to manage a large music library?

@evand

I don’t know about that. I have done no tagging with my 43 SACD albums and really don’t notice any difference between them and the CDs I have done some tagging with via dBpoweramp.

What do you think I am missing?

Depends on the albums and the quality of metadata TiVo has provided. Many albums in TiVo have no composer metadata against tracks, incorrect track titles/typo’s, Pop/Rock only as a genre etc. This leads to inability to see all instances of a track in your library, all compositions by a songwriter, meaningful genre browsing (assuming you’re comfortable with the genre schema to begin with [I am]) etc. Since setting Roon to utilise both file-based and its own sourced composer and genre metadata and doing some data cleansing on my tags all of the aforementioned has improved significantly. Perhaps I’m a bit of a completist where metadata is concerned, but that is why I bought into Roon - to be able to expose and explore the interrelationships in my music. Acknowledge though that Roon is perfectly serviceable without tagging files for those that are happy with better than average metadata but not interested in investing energy into getting it mostly right.

I’ve had no issues exploring my collection using dBpoweramp to populate metadata on CD rips and no metadata for SACD rips. I have found much new music that I like using Roon and the metadata I have. I don’t need to make metadata a hobby…

1 Like

You don’t need to fully explore your existing music or particular performers or songwriters in your library. Nothing to do with making metadata a hobby.

Not if it means making metadata a hobby in and of itself.

Again, I have no issues exploring now. I am able to go deeper than I really need or want. You see, I primarily want to listen to the music I have since I already have more than I can listen to. Yet, I am still adding at least 10 albums a month.

I listen also, music’s playing whilst I do the cleanups. Additionally, with a few smart scripts it becomes relatively simple to spot and rectify issues - as I’m listening I’ve got a server-side Python script writing metadata corrections to 106,446 files. Also keeps me engaged through problem solving (coding) and learning new skills and methods to explore data such as Cosine Similarity.

Nope. That is way too involved. I want to listen to my music. Not have it be work. Managing metadata is work…to me.

Mods have closed this topic for the moment after deleting a minor flame war.

1 Like

This topic was automatically opened after 34 hours.

Thanks for your helpful info Peter. I’m using Yate now and am very impressed with it. Took a bit to figure out some of the capability and get it setup with to output my file format and to my directory locations. It is a fantastic program and huge huge upgrade over iTunes for metadata management.

Another vote here for JRIVER, you can slice and dice to you hearts content

SACD ripping is quite complicated and cumbersome if you would like to extract the full DSD stream. Please Google for “SACD ripping”.
Without such a process you’ll only extract the regular red book CD parts which might be fully tagged on the disc available. The DSD stream is not tagged and need to be amended manually in all cases I ripped SACD.

once you have ripped the ISO getting it to DSF is simple and it can be tagged.

Huh? It is easy to rip a SACD…and I am not talking about the the Redbook layer of hybrid SACDs. All you need is the right software and the right SACD player hardware. You don’t even have to rip to ISO…you can rip straight to DSF files with proper track names.

Great, then I definitively did not found this simpel solution only the complicated way. Please share a hint where to find those tools and guidance.
The sound in my case, streamed with Roon trough Linn Akurate DSM3 sounds as good as with the SACD and Krell Cypher.

Again, I’m at loss to understand. All the mentioned “where” are still there. I do prefer ROON for playing for RAAT, but metadata management, sorry to say I tried 95% of all the solutions out there and nothing really beats the iTunes for me. :man_shrugging:

1 Like