Top 10 Feature Requests

Shield Client

Nvidia Shield app so I can control Roon with a handheld remote and see now playing info on my TV

Way of keeping Roon active so it doesn’t have to reconnect to core whenever I switch to a different app.

Split screen view on tablets

Way to use Roon extensions with Nucleus as the core

Video output over Nucleus HDMI

Windows store version of Roon control app

Roon Mobile

SACD ISO support

Lock screen widget for Pause and Volume

Better support of box sets

Vertical scrolling

iPad portrait mode

Removing ‘unavailable in Tidal’ tunes from playlists

Some easier way to pick the High Rez version of a track from the umpteen versions you have in the library; or to search by filesize/resolution

Better library management tools for decluttering

Not fussed about mobile Roon. I just use mobile Tidal

1 Like
  1. Complete development of current feature set.

2. Currently requested new features.

3. Complete development of currently requested new features.

4. Other features we think of.

5. Complete development of other features we think of.

3 Likes

1-Android Phone (and Android DAP?) Portrait mode with all functionalities (i.e. DSP window do not open, …).
2-A better DSP engine with more filter algorithms choices, Multi-cores CPU optimization (and NVIDIA acceleration)
3-Same as @QuinnT : “Just make the SQ sound better than any app (including Audirvana)”, but the “2-” would help to reach that point.

OK, I’ll play. Mine are from the perspective of someone who’s only been using Roon for about 2 months, maybe less, and most of my requests are pretty modest because I think Roon already does the basics beautifully. I couldn’t come up with 10 on my own so some are stolen from other contributions here but I wouldn’t have added them if I hadn’t thought they were a worthwhile top-10 wish for me.

1 - Option to hide items in main menu that I don’t use so the whole menu fits on my iPad screen without scrolling. Right now I have to scroll down to “Playlists” which I use a fair amount.

2 - Option to add shortcut icons to Footer to directly invoke a main menu item, e.g. an icon to take me straight to the Album view of my library.

3 - When looking at an Artist include the albums in my library in the all-albums list for the artist. Right now if an artist has 10 albums and I have a couple of them in my library I see the albums split into 2 separate sections, the first being the 2 “Main albums” that I own and the second being the other 8 albums that I don’t own. I have no issue at all with seeing the albums I own separately but I would then like to see them also listed in the second section, probably with a suitable marker to show that they are in my library, so that I can more easily see them in chronological context and compare star ratings with stuff I don’t have.

4 - Ability to tell Roon to pause playback at the end of the current track.

5 - For me not removing but marking as unavailable-in-Tidal any tracks in a playlist that are no longer in Tidal. Or, if they are removed from playlists, then have some sort of special “orphaned” playlist that a stub is added to so that I know, if I really wanted that track, what I need to go out and buy and add to my library to get it back.

6 - Keep Roon iPad session alive to avoid reconnection pauses in the remote app.

7 - Ability to create custom displays when casting to big screen TV plus a Roon-hosted online repository where users can share their creations for others to use.

8 - Individual specific volume offset/adjustment for albums so that I can correct any anomalies in albums I have added from Tidal (or any other streaming service) that Roon can’t analyse so can’t automatically volume-level (as I understand it).

9 - Find some way to add musician data (band members and any session musicians credited on original sleeve notes) to album info to make the album info more album-cover like.

10 - Roon-mobile. I left this to last because it is the most complicated I think although actually it probably is my number one wish. Also, I might mean a different thing to what other people want. I would like a 100% offline mode (e.g. on an aeroplane or in a tunnel with no network connection at all) where I could get Roon to synchronise my entire library down onto my phone when I’m on my home WiFi and have my whole purchased-music library (i.e. minus albums added from a streaming service) on my device. To do that I would definitely need the option for Roon to transcode my files to AAC/MP3/other-sensible-choices at a user-defined bitrate due to space considerations on my phone. Basically this is how I listen to all music when out and about and I would love Roon to be able to free me from iTunes and Apple Music. I assume that for people with huge libraries the option to select or de-select specific albums to sync would be required but I like having everything everywhere so I would select everything and transcode to 128kbs AAC since that is good enough for me on a noisy aeroplane or train.

3 Likes
  1. Roon Rock to take advantage of Intel Optane memory in Intel NUC
  2. Roon Rock support for SMB2/3
  3. Roon mobile
  4. “Roon My Day” swag

J

Ahhhh, yes another one of these threads and yet again I feel compelled to chip in; here are my current feature priorities (since 2015):

1. Improved album grouping on the artist pages - allow Roon to group and separate by albums, singles & EPs, bootlegs, anthologies - and then the current stuff like with various artists, appearances, etc.

2. Better box set handling - allow a box set to appear as a single entry with an album cover & associated notes, with each item within the box set then having its own entry with album art also - not just a link to “disc 2” showing the tracks.

3. Perhaps linked to the above, the ability to “group” albums into groups/sets/series. For example, when browsing compilation albums, all the “Cafe Del Mar” compilations could be grouped together into a single entry; when clicked, there could be an overall banner image for the category as well as associated information; the albums would then be selectable from there.

4. Better album art handling; the ability to identify and label album art by front cover, back cover, media, notes, etc. Roon could then for example show all albums without a rear cover, in order to allow the user to add the missing artwork. Also, allow some editing of the album art in Roon - currently I have duplicates, which I think is Roon showing the folder image as well as its own scraped image. Allow the user to delete images from Roon and to re-order them also.

5. Allow metadata editing for artist information, album reviews, etc. Allow the user to add extra reviews, rather than just showing the generic one.

6. Roon mobile!

7. Option to show discographies for artists (this does not apply to Tidal) - for example, when selecting an artist, I would have the option for Roon to show greyed out albums of that artist that are missing from my collection, alongside the full-colour ones I have, for example.

8. Ability to add notes to an album or track.

9. Ability to remove “top tracks” from the artist page.

10. Ability to add more internet shortcuts to the currently scraped ones.

There’s my top 10. Many of these features have been requested many times by others also :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m curious, given the OS and Roon database are on an SSD, what is the advantage for supporting Optane?

Yes the language is harsh but in other words I feel that Roon is not looking at the feature requests but maybe it is just a feeling. Of course they own the roadmap but some info on it would be greatly appreciated.

One more request - Amazon HD music (https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/hd) support.

2 Likes

Agree with lueanu and gigatoaster, it never appears that roonlabs is eager to please its customers. But this is because their financial model gives them no incentive to reward those that already subscribe. Their focus is on bringing more hardware to the hive, as that’s where they get growth.

3 Likes

I see. You are on point with the business model, hence the “newsletter” about new gear every month where every single picture & hardware systematically mention “Roon-ready”. Every.piece.of.hardware.is.

Nothing about the software and nothing about “feeling listened”.

2 Likes

Best request so far!

In this order:
Sleep Timer
Menu item under a specific album or track allowing it to be deleted from a playlist without having to find it in the playlist and selecting every track…
Roon Mobile (though I can live without it)

1. apple music integration
  2. spotify integration
  3. amazon music integration
  4. deezer integration
1 Like

Dirac Room correction

Yes, Roon on the Go is #1 for me, followed by Amazon HD integration.

what about showing the same screen on all devices. Going from iPad to iPhone, I now find on my iPhone the last screen as I left it previously, but I would prefer to see what was on mu iPad.
Is there an app for my desktop?

1. Roon on the Go
  2. Discogs integration for metadata
  3. other reviews / edit review /
  4. more streaming servcies (although though: Amazon / apple / spotify / mixcloud?)
  5. faster search results…
  6. URL tag support: all my files are tagged with the URL to the discogs page for example: being able to just click through the discogs URL would be awesome
2 Likes