Treatment of artists by streaming services (payment of musicians)

This is the post duck lipped selfie?

I’m not even sure what that means.

Never mind, I see now. I’ve never once played one of his songs, but I am actually starting to like some of Taylor Swift’s music.

I am becoming more impressed with her as she has shown versatility with other musicians with totally different styles of music.

She clearly has a talent, but the product was not something I particularly liked. Her latest album, however, is excellent and demonstrates a maturity and expression that is in a different league to most of her other work. Even down to the album cover, which could easily have graced an Opeth album once upon a time :grinning:

Anyone have any idea how much Qobuz pay artists per stream?

The link posted earlier in the thread shows everyone else apart from Qobuz, so I was just curious

From 2018 …

Digital Service Provider $ Per Stream
Qobuz $0.04390
Peloton $0.04036
iHeartRadio $0.01426
Amazon Unlimited $0.01175
Napster/Rhapsody $0.01110
24/7 Entertainment GmbH $0.01050
YouTube Red $0.00948
Tidal $0.00927
Deezer $0.00567
Google Play $0.00543
Apple $0.00495
KKBox $0.00435
Amazon Digital Services Inc. $0.00395
Spotify $0.00331
Loen $0.00205
Pandora $0.00155
Vevo $0.00109
Yandex LLC $0.00051
YouTube Content ID $0.00028
UMA $0.00013

Source: https://thetrichordist.com/2019/01/29/2018-streaming-price-bible-per-stream-rates-drop-as-streaming-volume-grows-youtubes-value-gap-is-very-real/.

Qobuz not listed in the 2019 article: https://thetrichordist.com/category/music-streaming/.

Thanks @Martin_Webster.
Another good reason to continue with my Qobuz subscription providing the rates have remained at a similar level compared to the others…

1 Like

Indeed, mind the gap…

Most streaming services accumulate total time streamed and artist time streamed. The artist is paid a share of royalties proportional to the total time his work was streamed. The sums are done globally over all listeners. The per stream rates quoted at Ditto are calculated this way. 1 play divided by total plays times net revenues after salaries, data service, etc are paid.

A fairer model to the artist would be to calculate total artist time by each listener and apportion out the listener’s burdened subscription fee (fee minus other costs) to the artist, maybe through the regional rights management so the songwriters and session players receive payment. Using this model, Vijay Iyer is not competing with Madonna for royalties unless I also happen to play Madonna.

7 Likes

Absolutely @David_Hamby.

That implies that we should stream our favorite artists all the time to a muted system. I have unlimited streaming on Qobuz and apple music. I could rack up a lot of plays in the 8-16 hours each day the stereo isn’t playing.

1 Like

This could turn into some kind of charitable concern. Imagine a folding at home style service dedicated to ensuring “worthy” artists get a larger share of the pie. Constant streaming to virtual silent endpoints. Maybe this explains Justin Biber’s success?

Under the current “Big pool” system, that is correct. And don’t think that, just because you are not doing so, that’s not already being done on a massive scale.

Under the “user-centric” system, the total amount of money available to be distributed is (65% of†) your monthly subscription fee. It wouldn’t matter how many hours you play your system on mute; your subscription would be divided among the artists you actually stream.

† I think that’s the typical percentage of revenues. Substitute some other figure if you prefer.

2 Likes

Many thanks for sharing that. It did dawn on me that someone must have thought of this already. The idea of armies of “Biberbots” not listening to endless playlists makes me shudder, it’s worse than Skynet :wink:

1 Like

Precisely. If I stream nothing but The Flower Kings, 100% of my subscription - after the streaming company’s cut - should go to The Flower Kings. Unfortunately, under the current model, most of my subscription goes to the most streamed artists, who I don’t listen to!

Deezer is currently the only major streaming service pushing for a User-Centric Payment model. It would be great if they succeed.

1 Like

How would this help the smaller independent artists who aren’t ‘popular’? I imagine that 80% of all streaming covers the top 10-20% of musicians at best.

Probably 20% if Pareto’s Principle holds, always a good estimation starting point.

I doubt it does since popular music is fickle.

1 Like