Trying to get a friend with 10K CDs into Roon

I assume your friend doesn’t just have random CDs if he has 10k, but a collection with several masterings of his favorite CDs. If that is not the case and the CDs are not “collectible”, I would indeed go for a streaming solution.
However if he does have a CD collection and you absolutely need to rip, the only solution I see is dbpoweramp batch ripper. I have been using batch ripper for a long time and it will drastically speed up the ripping process and add decent (not perfect) metadata in the process in most of the cases.
Using a well thought out naming strategy will help managing tags (that help Roon identify the discs).
Hardwarewise I am using a PC with several DVD drives and several large Harddisks. With four drives your ability to swap discs and to check whether the metadata proposed by dbpoweramp is correct will limit the speed. So no use to have more than four drives.
This is a MAJOR endeavor, so be prepared to invest substantial time and effort. Plan the whole thing thoroughly, otherwise you risk redoing several times.
My ripped collection has around 120k tracks, which would be around 15k CDs assuming 8 tracks per CD.

I find ripping therapeutic to be honest. Good job given my (bad) habit of buying job lots of 100s of CDs on impulse on eBay :slight_smile:

I rip using dBPoweramp, with two drives connected to the laptop (not sure if more would work). So halve the times quoted above. Although 50 a day is good in practise, which makes for 200 days total.

2 Likes

As I have run a ripping service in the past, I can tell you that ripping the discs is not the problem.
And if the collection is only recent pop-rock music, grooming,tagging,… is also not taking too much time (albeit 10.000 CD’s remains an enormous task).
However, if your collection contains a lot of classical music, I can tell you you will be happy if you can rip and tag 20 CD’s a day. And with all respect for Roon, identifying the correct version of a classical album - that really corresponds with the one you physically rip - is in a lot of of cases a complete nightmare. Too many versions on different labels of the same album (let alone different versions of Works and Compositions)

Thr biggest collection I have ripped for a customer was about 7000 CD’s, with about 3000 pop/rock, 1000 Jazz and 3000 Classical albums. It has taken me several months to get the job done.
And even then, importing in Roon will also involve veryfing unidentified/wrongly identified albums.

It can be worhwhile to do so, but by subscribing to a streaming service, you have easy access to a lot of music,which you can listen to whilst ripping and taking care of your most loved albums.
Dirk

How much did you charge for that? Ball park if you rather…or per disk?

Base price was 1 €.
Discounts were applicable depending on size an type of music.
In the end commercially not really viable in a small countriesn Belgium & the Netherlands.
One of the biggest issues was transport. I did transport myself, but sometimes had to drive 200km times 4. (Picking up and bringing back)
Dirk

2 Likes

that’s a lot of money that could be used for streaming services :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The start and growing popularity of Spotify has probably the biggest negative impact on the commercial viabilty of ripping service companies.
People were not willing to pay (hat much) anymore for ripping pop/rock music.
Classical alone is far too much work to make it sustainable.
Dirk

I have been ripping for many years now, wnating to get my entire collection onto my server. I am actually going to be finished in the nearer future - maybe even thanks to Corona. I have about 5000 albums on Roon now, so that is about 10000 CDs ( classical mostly 2 or 3 CDs an album) It really has something Zen about it. Yes a lot is on Qobuz - but also a lot not - especially if you are holding onto a great remaster etc. But as I stated, it has been years. I really need a new hobby once I am finished :wink:

1 Like

@ Dirk De Taey,
I don’t know where you are from but I run a CD ripping service in Belgium

I hope for you your service is succesfull.
I am living close to Antwerpen.
Dirk
P.s. interested in a MF Digital robot (2 discs)?

1 Like

Fascinating discussion! I transitioned from well over a thousand CDs to FLAC years back after buying my first Squeezebox. It took ages but it was, indeed, a labor of love. I used (and still use) EAC for its accuracy and, through newer versions, good job of album identification and metadata. I learned A LOT and really did enjoy the process of rediscovering my library and, in truth, weeding it out to some extent.

Anyone with a CD library that large will be unlikely to give up having their own library. Perhaps I’m a bit of a dinosaur, but who know if Tidal or Qobuz will still be around in 5 to 10 years. Those CDs and the files they’re ripped to will be.

5 Likes

5 to 10 maybe ambitious with Amazon and Apple sniffing about …

1 Like

I am ripping about 10k CD’s, I have done about 3k to date. Its been really fun, I have a subscription for Qobuz also. Ripping the CD’s means you pick them up, appreciate the cover art, find stuff you missed first time around. Plus at the end of it all, you have yours CD’s backed up and you have got to listen to stuff you have probably forgotten about!!

I use a dbpoweramp, connected to my office machine. The music is placed in a folder which is then replicated on my NAS, and voila, Roon see’s it. Pretty painless for me really.

5 Likes

I dont listen to many CD’s these days. I did rip a few hundred some years ago before all the online streaming attracted my interest. My wife wants to toss the lot - hers at least and mine too if she has her way…she claims it all online. Space is a rather awkward and touchy subject.

I should probably rip a few hundred more before I let that happen at least of mine :slight_smile:

And then there is the vinyl…we both keep buying that when the mood and situation allows like being in LA and going to amoeba records…heard they are moving…that will be a hard move. I should probably rip most of that too as its not getting played often either.

I have Tidal and Spotify…might try Qobuz some time and maybe Amazon DH if I can get to stream it to all my endpoints - Roon and Ropieee cope well so far.

Right - I find the various streaming services an excellent way to discover music and Roon has certainly done an amazing job integrating Tidal and Qobuz. BUT (and for me, this is big), I love managing and building my own music library. (is there such a thing as music hoarding? :wink: While Roon does allow me to “include” albums from Tidal or Qobuz, there is no guarantee those albums will still be there in 6 months and no guarantee Tidal or Qobuz will be there a few years from now. So for me, being a music collector is an important hobby. Of course, what’s the point of collecting music if you don’t listen to it and there is no better way to manage that than Roon.

2 Likes

How long does it take to rip a CD?

That varies based on how you rip (software and settings), the quality/condition of the CD you’re ripping and how fast the computer is that you’re ripping it on. I know EAC provides a means to rip for the highest integrity and then rip again for validation. That can be slow (15 minutes?) but perhaps worth it if you’re anal about the quality of your rip. But you can also rip in a fast mode in just a few minutes per CD. I’m not sure how the commercial ripping services do it.

Depends on the speed of the drive and how much error correction you have the ripping software set.

I ripped all my CDs using dbPoweramp, over 10 years ago. Back then, I had setup 3 computers with 3 ripping drives each. So, I could be ripping 9 CDs at a time. Once done, I then ripped as I purchased.

1 Like

I always do the ripping manually although with three devices at the same time, Then I still have full control and the metadata is also more correct to start with, after ripping I look at the metadata of all ripped CDs and adjust them where necessary and even in consultation with the customer After all, some customers have preferences regarding the allocation of genre names or composers (full or incomplete name) you name it, anything is possible. The cover art also receives special attention, all cover art is set to 400x400 and scanned if necessary

If it’s that slow, store your CD’s and subscribe to Tidal and/or Qobuz.