Trying to get a friend with 10K CDs into Roon

Are they not playable anymore in your hifi cdplayer ?
Have you tried to play and/or to rip them in a pc using a DVD (or Bluray-DVD combo) ?
Results could be surprising!
Dirk

One of these - http://www.acronova.com/product/auto-blu-ray-duplicator-publisher-ripper-nimbie-usb-nb21/9/review.html and dbPoweramp batch ripper for meā€¦ 6500 CDs in around a month of running a few batches a day and then cleaning up the metadata using MP3Taagā€¦ I also ripped all of my DVDs and Blu ray discsā€¦ a worthwhile investment if you ask me <10pemce (UK) per discā€¦

As a long time classical music listener and CD purchaser, I recall there was a major production problemā€“oxidationā€“that affected CDs pressed for a number of labels in a few plants in Europe. This was back in the late 90s-early 00s. Hyperion and ASV, among other labels, instituted a trade-in program that I took advantage of at the time. The replacement CDs still play perfectly (no guarantee for the future, of course), or at least they did up to the time I had my collection ripped for playback through Roon about 4 years ago.

SACD ripping has been around for a few years now. Originally you could use specific Sony PS3s but some equally very clever people managed to get certain BluRay players to also do it.

You can rip to ISO, after which it is simple to convert to DSF for Roon. What player do you have? If you are lucky you may have one, but it has to have the right chipset.

Some of the OPPOs rip: 103, 105, or 105D, there are a couple of Pioneers (I have a BDP-170 just for this).

You create a thumb drive with a small piece of software on it (Google is your friend) and you can rip then rip SACDs via ethernet to your PC/Mac using a piece of software from Sonore: http://www.sonore.us/iso2dsd.html

It can rip as ISOs or DSF and also convert the ISOs yopu create for archiving to DSF including converting DST to DSD.

You can rip an SACD using a Sony PS3 Playstation, one with firmware not upgraded past 3.54. I bought one a while back to do just that (and that is the only thing I use it for).

Some more details: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95396.0

As mentioned in another reply, it is also possible to use some Bluray players to do the same.

As for quality, it is the exact DSD data that you rip into a disk replica (an ISO file), on which you then use a piece of free software (ISO2DSD) to make into individual DSF files (thatā€™s one of the file extensions for DSD music tracks). You can even use tagging tools (eg Yate on mac) to fully tag the files with titles, album art, etc, just like you would with any other file. And software like Roon, Audirvana, or JRiver will be able to play these files as well as read all tags.

The quality is exactly the same as in the SACD disk. And the files will play on ANY DAC that supports DSD.

Just watched the Oppo method, thatā€™s even easier than the PS3ā€¦

1 Like

I ripped my entire library years ago. To be honest, I canā€™t remember which discs they were. I just remember being surprised they wouldnā€™t rip/play because they looked fine (no scratches or damage) and they had been stored in my house since new. I typically donā€™t use CDs for coasters and they werenā€™t played in my car. Itā€™s possible they could have been recovered. On the other hand, I used to get a lot of music from the public library. Those discs were abused. Some you thought had been attacked with a belt sander played just fine. Others looked perfect and refused to play or one or two tracks were glitched. Point is, CDs are not forever. :disappointed_relieved:

This is the link you need if you want to rip your SACDs:

What failure modes is your backup designed to cover?

Hard drive failures by and large. I have 7 local copies (I cycle through them, they are all dated) and one at my beach house 2 hrs away. I have had hard drives fail on me. Have never had a fire or flood.

The one other possible issue is a file hostage attack, and file corruption that gets propagated to the backups. This is why I cycle through the backups onces a week or so.

Oh, and BTW I do have some level or realtime failure recovery as I run TimeMachine.

1 Like

Similar. I have main server at home, and that is backed up to 4 different 4TB USB drives (about 113,000 mostly FLAC files). At work and at weekend cabin I also have servers, each with one backup USB drive in that location. The 3 locations are independent. That is, when I add new CD rips to my library, I do this independently at each of the 3 locations. This way, I donā€™t accidentally propagate bad files from one location to another (which could happen if I was synching all 3 places back to the same base library).

The thing i did :

Put my whole collection in Discogs , and then exported the Discogs catalogue of my collection to a Tidal playlist :slight_smile: using www.soundiiz.com , worked great! So now i have my whole Vinyl / CD collection on Tidalā€¦

Grts

Tim

1 Like

And you could tag all those tracks in that playlist to know you have that on vinyl or CD

Iā€™ve been thinking about doing this (Iā€™ve already tagged my Roon library for SACDs). Actual work keeps getting in the way of being OCD.

1 Like

Iā€™ve light browsed through this thread and I couldnā€™t find one mention of MusicBrainz Picard.
This is probably the best tagger Iā€™ve ever used.

https://picard.musicbrainz.org/

You can use it to scan your library using audio fingerprints, and it will usually find the correct release of the album.

I use it before adding new albums to my library. The app scans the audio fingerprints, looks for a match for the album, corrects various fields like composers, downloads artwork and saves the tags for the files.

You do have to keep an eye on it and verify each album before saving the tags as it might get things wrong.

One thing to note though: The application itself is not very efficient, so donā€™t put your entire 100,000+ tracks on it at once.