Tuesday Deal on MERIDIAN MQA Capable DAC

Yeah, am doing that now, thanks Chris. Can’t say I can tell much difference but bar a handful of albums its mostly unknown music to me, and the sound signature of the Explorer is brand new to me too. Anyway, I can enjoy the fact that a blue light comes on sometimes :slight_smile:

Its a cute little device. No complaints really.

Getting the Explorer to work with Tidal is not intuitive. You need to hover near the Explorer 2 setting in ‘streaming’ and that shows the settings icon where you can configure the individual driver. It took a couple of attempts to get it right.

I’ve had one for a year when they announced Tidal MQA would launch Jan 2016. Ha. But it’s been OK as a second DAC in my office. INnmy main system I use a £1,400 Chord Hugo. With the advent of MQA on Tidal this year, I have done A-B comparisons Explorer MQA v. Hugo. And the Explorer/MQA gives the Hugo at least a good run for the money (being a tenth of the price on the deal you mentioned). It depends on the material, the older stuff is not so well recorded anyway so it’s unfair to compare. But it’s definitely worth the money.

One caveat though - the Explorer doesn’t work with phones or iPads as the USB output on portable devices do not power the DAC sufficiently. So laptops and PCs only I’m afraid.

And I posted on Meridian’s Facebook page a week or so ago and mooted that there was nothing between the Explorer and the £14,000 Ultra DAC and had a reply to day - ‘Watch this space…’ So I am.

1 Like

Just answering my own comment - yes, the volume control is ample on the Senheissers too. I had about three useable notches from inaudible to too loud on the Dragonfly 2 and dragonfly black. Explorer just feels normal, Im down the bottom of the scale but loads of room for precision level adjustments (15 in Roon for lowish level).

What about the Meridian Prime?

https://www.meridian-audio.com/products/computer-audio/prime-headphone-amplifier/

Also the £8,000 818.3, although that isn’t exactly chump change either.

Wasn’t aware of this product, but looks like a headphone amp more than a dedicated DAC. But perhaps Meridian have a replacement in line for this or a new DAC at this level. Not that I’d buy off Amazon, but it’s currently unavailable if you look.

I recently bought the Explorer2 in anticipation of Tidal MQA via Roon. I am using it USB out from a Bryston BDP-1. Sounds pretty darn good for a portable DAC.

@Mike_Cryer

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MEPHA

3-5 days per Audio Advisor’s website. They only will ship to US addresses. Dealer is located in Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA

EDIT: a better price
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Meridian_Prime_Headphone_Amplifier_p/mer0000004.htm

Got it working. Added several Master favorites to Tidal, and they are playing through Roon just fine. Learned one thing along the way, the volume leveling feature in Roon will defeat the blue and hi-res MQA lights on the Explorer.

Thanks Chris…

1 Like

FYI, mine’s for sale in the classifieds if anyone’s interested (UK)…

You would have better luck if you post it in Classifieds section of head-fi.org

Thanks for the tip. I do read head-fi occasionally but I’m not registered there. Have added it a few other places too.