Unable to Access Roon ARC Outside Home Network After Recent IPv6 Compatibility Update [Fixed with Build 1401]

Apologies for the confusion. I have WiFi on, however wired connection sits above it with respect to service order. See screenshot. Regardless of whether I was using ethernet or WiFi, Roon ARC wasn’t working.

Port forwarding was configured via the MySky app. I have tried multiple ports other than 55002, which is what it was set to initially in Roon. See screenshot. With the Max Hub router it’s not possible to configure port forwarding using the browser interface, at least not as far as I can see.

I tried steps 1–4 previously and no luck there. I don’t know how to turn off IPv6 in my router but I have managed to disable it in network settings on my MacBook Air and now it seems Roon ARC is working again.

Network settings:

Roon ARC settings panel:

Update.

Following other reports on the forum, I turned off ipv6 and now the ARC settings status shows as expected:

And with the ipv4 port forwarding rule disabled:

Now the ARC connection failure is correctly displayed.

After re-enabling ipv6 and then restarting RoonServer goes back to the badly populated settings page.

The presence of ipv6 seems to be key to the lack of ip address and diagnostics display in the ARC settings page.

See my last update to the thread at:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/incorrect-status-and-ip-address-information-missing-from-roon-arc-settings-page-ref-q8t4jo/269757/4

Well, that was not happy-making! It dropped me from Verizon Fiber and crashed my home network. Took me a couple hours to return everything to the previous state. Needless to say, I did NOT check to see what it did to Roon ARC.

Hi @Wade_Oram ,

Thanks for letting us know about this behavior. We are looking into a few IPv6 reports, I’ve enabled diagnostics mode for your account and we will let you know once we have analyzed your logs and further details to share, thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Wade_Oram,

Thank you for your help. Do you have an IPv6 pinhole set in your router settings? It should point to the same port number listed in Settings → ARC.

Yes I do:

The strange ip address with the leading :: is used because I get a dynamic prefix from my ISP (BT in the UK). This specified the local suffix only.

I have checked that the pinhole is working:

Edit: Replaced image with new image that has ipv6 address partly masked.

1 Like

I forgot to mention/remind you. I am not suffering from a failure to connect ARC.

Everthing is working fine here except for the lack of information in the Roon → Settings → ARC page. The failure to connect ARC that I reported earlier was deliberately provoked by removing the ipv6 pinhole and the ipv4 port forwarding rule.

1 Like

I’m in the UK on BT, as far as I know I can’t disable IPv6 on my router, so if the Arc issue is due to a IPv6 regression in the 1392 release, that would explain my inability to configure Arc.

The ipv6 issue does not prevent ARC from working.

I am also in the UK using BT and I have ARC working with ipv4 and ipv6. However, the presence of ipv6, for me, prevents the Roon → Settings → ARC page displaying ip address information and diagnostics text.

interesting, are you saying that Arc works in practice even though the Roon config page indicates it shouldn’t?

No. I am only saying that turning off ipv6 may fix the ARC settings page - but ipv6 itself is not itself an impediment to getting ARC working.

Hi everyone,

We’re testing a fix internally. Please stand by and we’ll have more information on the rollout once it’s available.

2 Likes

Hi, Connor!
Exactly the same in my network. I’m using an Antipodes Server, the Router is up to date. IPv4 and IPv6 correct. I rebooted everything and lost Roon completely. Uploaded Roon completely new (on iPad and iPhone). Everything is working fine, all settings correct, but … no connection with Roon ARC with LAN. And no diagnostics data, Roon (on my iPad inWLAN home network, Roon ARC is functioning on WLAN) is in the settings even not “searching” for the connection. It’s just a rebuild of the page, no function, no reaction in changing the port. Help, please! Thanks.

My ARC worked prior to the latest update, now nothing. I cannot even load diagnostics. I have rebooted, deleted and installed ROON, but to no avail, I get the same error message. Any help would be appreciated.

@James_Baniewicz, I moved your post to this thread where Roon is investigating this issue.

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble with Roon ARC

What best describes your issue with ARC

I can't log into ARC but I can log into Roon

Getting the error messages "Not Ready - Roon ARC will not be able to access Roon Server" and "Roon ARC was unable to access your Roon Server."
However, Diagnostics info section is empty. No error info or messages displaying in it.

And Roon Server IP section in tag show empty, too.

Roon Server is working normally, playing tracks from server and streaming normally to all speaker. I have version 2.0 build 1392 currently installed.

I have headless Roon Server installed in a headless MacMini dedicated to work as Roon end point (M1, 2020, running on Monterey 12.7.4), hosting exclusively Roon and not running any other apps or software.

In the Roon ARC tab of Roon I have a specific Port entered (using number 57509) and same port configured in router (which is an AT&T Arris BGW210-700).
Until two weeks ago, I was always seeing Roon ARC connected there, and I was able to access Roon ARC remotely normally all the time from Roon ARC app in iPhone.
But now I'm getting this error of Not Ready, but without any messages providing more information about what the error could be about.

Also, for the record, I saw an older thread of someone having a similar issue, and it seemed it was resolved by attempting to access Roon settings from a different device (iPhone), because in the alternative device the Diagnostics section was loading and displaying some information that helped to identify and troubleshoot the error.
However, I tried that already, but even from Roon app on iPhone I’m also getting the empty Diagnostics info.

@CrisInMiami, I moved your post to this thread where Roon is investigating this issue.

1 Like

Another observation:

With Roon Server running on DietPi and ARC fully working, I have observed the missing ip address information on the Roon → Settings → ARC page.

If I then turn off ipv6 support in dietpi-config (but leave it configured on the router), and then refresh the ARC settings connection state, the ipv4 address information re-appears and the page looks like it should do with a working ARC connection.

However, if I then turn ipv6 back on in dietpi-config but do not restart RoonServer, then the ipv4 address information continues to be shown but no ipv6 information is shown.

At this point restarting the RoonServer service will restore the broken behaviour - no ip address information (ipv4 or ipv6 shown).