Understanding Valence and Classical Music

Also a single String Quartet that seems to have been recorded several times. Wagner transcriptions as well. But no one would consider him a composer. Even his own official website says:

Gould’s posthumous “legacy” in the National Library of Canada includes seven boxes of compositions. Apart from this great Opus 1, most are brief and usually unfinished essays

1 Like

I just noticed that pianist Zoltan Koscis has also vanished from my Library - beause he composed some Wagner Transcriptions…

Its about time Roon gets out a fix for this.

1 Like

if only someone would have tested this „artist/composer duality fix everything automatically“ thingy properly before releasing it…:speak_no_evil:

Have you heard Bernstein’s introduction to his and Gould’s 1962 performance of Brahms 1st piano concerto?

I think you probably means this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peFMHJa57H8

I have tried to like his non-Bach but mostly it doesn’t work for me.

1 Like

How did you do your search/filtering for your strange result? When I search for “Glenn Gould”, click on his name, then ‘Discography’ in ‘Recommended for you’, there are 143 albums. If I filter on Bach, it shows 48, that’s just with it in the title I believe.

All That Jazz: The Best of Ute Lemper is a fabulous disc. Many songs not elsewhere. The Lavender Song is on it. It’s not on Qobuz but worth getting. Only saw her once, in Chicago (the show) in London, she was fabulous and it was a smash hit.

Another way of doing it is to click on the box set and focus on Bach - 567 of 1141 total tracks. Then click on compositions and you get a complete list of his Bach recordings.

Gould mostly does not work for me. His early Bach, ok. Later he got a bit freaky. (OT)

I think we are are talking at cross purposes. I am playing devil’s advocate in my post so maybe something got lost in the translation. I am not trying to search for Bach in Gould. I know how to do that. I am putting myself in the mind of the target audience for the Valance technology to see if it works in terms of a user unfamiliar with an artist or composer. There are several new features in 1.8 like “recommendations”, “in their prime”, “collaborators” etc. (in the overview not the discography) designed to orientate users who want to learn about new artists or composers. So I am deliberately making the assumption that I am a potential Classical listener who knows nothing about Gould. And certainly doesn’t know that Gould was famous for being a landmark Bach keyboard performer.

So, first, there is no “recommended” section in the discography. That is just a mass of disks. I have 204. The point of Valence I assume is to help you navigate major artists like this that have very deep catalogues when you have nothing to guide you. For the recommended disks you need to go to the “overview” not the “discography”. There I get this smaller much more manageable list of 9 albums instead of 204:

The problem is that none of the disks are Bach performances. Most of them are obscure recordings of his single composition of a string quartet. I had no idea there were that many. Roon did find them but it misses the point. There is also an even more obscure recording of his TV documentary interviews. One thing that is different is that I can see his infamous 1962 Brahms Concerto with Bernstein has now turned up since my original post. It wasn’t there 13 hours a go when I originally posted. Quite a coincidence as I have just responded to another poster on this thread about that recording. So at least 2 of us looked it up (although I didn’t play it because I don’t like it). Quite a coincidence. I hope Valence doesn’t work off such small data-sets.

As I write in the previous post I am making the assumption that I don’t know that Bach is an important keyword when confronted by the discography of a major artist like Glenn Gould. 204 albums in my case.

The question is can you use the new Valance features of 1.8 to make sense of a discography of 204 Gould albums? My point is if you go to the new 1.8 Valance feature of “recommended” albums in the overview that you cannot. You get 9 albums recommended and that is a lot less to click on than 204. But you still have a way to go to figure out that you should be exploring this artist by starting with a few Bach albums if you don’t know that already.

Yeah. Most of it after the Bach I find unlistenable.

Thanks for explaining. I see your point if you’re looking at just Recommended Albums. I know that the 1.8 advertisement is for this is “key recordings”, but personally, it’s never done much for me, nor has “Roon Radio”. I find probing and clicking on references in text in bios and such to land me in much more interesting places.

I have the impression this is generally targeting newcomers to genres, not just Classical. But I was hoping I could also use it with artists and composers I have no or little knowledge of.

The thing is I have no way of judging if roon is recommending anything sensible in those cases. So I thought I would experiment with artists and composers I know to see if the Valence recommendations make any sense. So far, roon seems to have trouble with artist/composers, conductor/composers, anything where roles overlap. That is a shame because my use case is modern and contemporary composition about which I have only a sketchy knowledge and few records in my library. Qobuz on the other hand has a deep catalogue I would like to explore with the help of a few orienting tools. However, as far as I can see conductor/composers are very common in that category as “living” composers need t make a living somehow.

The problem with Glenn Gould is that if you ask some people to rank his recordings in order of preference they’d put them all last.

The first Goldberg recording, French and English Suites, 2 and 3-part inventions, Well Tempered Klavier, Partitas.

Frankly, if you have the 204 albums listed in order of popularity, most of the best ones are at the top. There are duplicates was he only did 78 albums. Only the French Suites and Partitas are down the list. So it’s doing its job.

So I decided to listen to 5 or 6 versions of Bach’s Partita in A Minor and included in the middle of the list is Trevor Pinnock on harpsichord. I wanted to move it to the end. The only way seems to be to remove it and add it again. I would have thought it possible to drag items in a list?

Half of these are in my library and the others on Qobuz. It’s not discriminating, which is good, and it’s playing the library version when it is in Qobuz as well, which is also good.

Thanks for the suggestion that the popularity sort in the Discography section gives more sensible results but my question is still what is wrong with the Recommended albums tool in the Overview section? It is those tools in the Overview section which look new to me in 1.8 and I would like to understand if I can use them or not.

The answer may be as simple as the Overview sort logic should be the same as the Discography sort logic. Why are they different? Why aren’t the 9 recommended albums in the Overview just the first 9 albums in the popularity sort in the Discography? It is already the case that if you do a simple search on the hour glass it will return the very first item in the popularity sort on the Discography (Goldberg Variations). So why not make everything consistent?

There are a few other posts. Gould is not the only one. Seems to be an issue that arises with artists with dual composer/performer roles.

I cannot see from your screen shot. Do you not get these “six-dot” handles to the right? You can grab these and move the track up and down.

1 Like

The reason is because the first recommended item is his complete recorded works and it is then looking for other things, basically picking up some remastered versions and odds and sods. As he only recorded on disc for Columbia (I recall they ran round to his hotel with a contract after his first Carnegie Hall performance), who were bought by Sony, his catalogue has always been closely controlled. There are recordings in CBC, but that’s pretty much it.

Not following. Reason for what?