Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

Simple reason it’s gone up 25% is the monthly subscription is mainly made from eggs and cheese.

8 Likes

No, but Roon employees buy all those things. As do Tidal and Qobuz employees.

5 Likes

Now I understand…
:slight_smile:

Why would you still buy low-fat milk? Urghh. I like milk with 4% fat. Well.

2 Likes

Exclusively. Odd bunch.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about it and I’m considering it now. I may end up paying the $699 for lifetime. I haven’t come to a full decision yet. I have to take my other expenses in account but I’m starting to consider the option. It really is no different than buying a new pair of speakers or turntable.

3 Likes

Buy low fat milk for health reasons which means that the lifelong membership will be better value as you live longer.

3 Likes

Tell your family members that’s what you want for Christmas and your next birthday.

1 Like

People back when lifetime was £499 were debating the cost and to buy or not to buy, those who didn’t probably wish they did, it will likely be the same now and every time it goes up.
I did buy it.
Break even over paying 4 or 5 years annual goes by surprisingly quickly .

2 Likes

Well, with hindsight, different times have different risks. Buying lifetime in June of 2015 was not a sure bet at all.

3 Likes

I’ll see if I can snag it for a hanukkah present.

4 Likes

Their electricity, gas, rent, other living costs also rose

Thank you for earnestly mansplaining my joke. Tremendous stuff.

2 Likes

I think he was joking

@Ted_Maul wins all kinds of goodwill for making my team laugh hard with the comment alongside the graph

:joy:

2 Likes

Here’s a fun fact that someone just pointed out on another part of the internet. While inflation was one of the reasons for the price increase, I swear that we had no idea it worked out so perfectly. We launched May 12, 2015 at $119/year.

Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 3.31.40 PM

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Also, :egg: and :cheese:.

15 Likes

Too bad we can’t pay the next 12 months in advanced.
I would have paid the next 12 months right now. My current cycle ends in February :frowning:

I’m sorry if this has been discussed here or elsewhere before but I don’t understand how Roon can offer a “lifetime” option when the entire service is reliant on an online database and now with 2.0 needs to be online to even function. If I buy a lifetime license to say a graphic design software, come rain or shine for the company that devloped it it I am garunteed to always be able to use it in its current form. It just seems disingenuous to offer a “lifetime” license for an online-reliant service. If you inteperate it to meen the lifetime of the company that’s fine, but I doubt that is what many people think of.

I said it up above, but I am happy to repeat it here:

An original Roon “lifetime” license purchaser will always get what a Roon annual/monthly purchaser would get, for no additional cost.

All “lifetime” means is “not having to pay annually or monthly”. Nothing more, nothing less.

5 Likes

Understood, maybe I’m the only one who was confused by that. It just seems to me the common interpretation of the term is that you get acess to the service for the duration of your life, but I suppose anyone who understands that Roon is an online service will understand your usage of the term.

This thread is unsuprisingly quite negative so I just wanted to say thanks for offering a great service :slight_smile:

2 Likes

While negatives are to be expected around price increases, people have been far more civil and level-headed than we expected. In the top post, you can see what “lessons” we learned from the first time we raised prices, and I believe the majority of the complaints are about the price increase itself, and not how we conducted it. I would call that a resounding success!

12 Likes