Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

I can imagine that Roon may remove the lifetime option when prices are next revised. It is a quick way to stop all the argument and discussion around pricing. If it negatively impacts sales they can always reintroduce it.

totally, my kids are going to be salty if they miss out on a few hundred dollars from my vast estate :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I stream music, so I have no use for an integrated library.

I won’t go Life, as I’m not too convinced that Roon will develop in a way I will find useful (ARC being a case in point; don’t need it, for mobile use I have Apple Music and Qobuz, and both are compatible with CarPlay).

I’m also still waiting to see what the Apple app for Classical Music will be like. We’ll probably have to wait until next year. If it’s anything like Primephonic, I very much see myself dropping Qobuz, and what use would Roon then have for me?

The new pricing is basically an espresso at my local coffeeshop. That’s not the problem for me. What I find difficult to stomach is that Roon now costs as much as Qobuz and double, even triple compared to Apple Music (Family Plan). A no music platform is now more expensive than a streaming platform?! Hm…

I’ve been listening to Audirvana Studio a lot recently. It does everything I need such an app to do. Plus I prefer the SQ of AS (I now this is controversial.)

So, I guess, that was it for me with Roon. Will probably let my subscription run out.

4 Likes

I’m pretty much where you are except, I just really like Roon and bought lifetime at $500. I’m using Audirvana Studio this week, away from home, but I really don’t like it. I use Roon and Audirvana to stream from Tidal and Qobuz. We each have to do what works for us. It’s all good.

1 Like

I’m honestly surprised it’s even still on the table as a rush of lifetime buying that are likely happening right now is great for a quick infusion of capital but then it’s all dead money.
Every lifer is really a loss in potential revenue for Roon as now there is no continuous money stream from said lifers.

2 Likes

in 6 or 7 years…

1 Like

And as Roon has already been around since 2015 there are already quite a lot of “dead money” lifers on the books.
But in the early days that capital infusion was obviously very welcome.
Hey it might be now, I don’t know, not privvy to such things😁

“Dead money,” I don’t agree. Money is money until it’s gone. At the new lifetime price of $829.99 and annual price of $149.88, the break-even is 5.5 years. If you add in the time value of the advance payment, that becomes more like 5.8 years. How many current monthly or annual subscribers have been around that long? IDK.

Yes, after the break even, the lifers are no longer adding value for Roon. This sounds like a right-wing argument against social security and medicare. I think the only way this would be “dead money” is if Roon used it to throw themselves a huge party.

Good Lord Jim, it’s not an argument at all!
Just my opinion of the reality of the situation.
Over and out
Jeez.

1 Like

Ace, don’t get your panties in a wad. I use the term “argument” as a matter of making a point in a discussion, not as a contemptuous thing. Of course, as to social security and medicare it is probably more of the latter than the former.

No continuous money stream from lifers but quite a bit of support here (which must save Roon quite a bit of money).
I guess it depends upon how long the average subscriber sticks around. Something better may come along or the product may degrade in terms of usability/features, sending subscribers away. The lifetime subscriber money would be a buffer against falling annual numbers for a while.

3 Likes

I guess your right, providing you can get enough lifers to replace the missing monthly’s and yearly’s.
If you can’t the money won’t last as long.

Only Roon will know and those of us intending to leave will be spread over the coming months.
I’ve got till July but most of my replacement is in place other than I’m thinking of also adding Apple Music with the Roon cost saving.

If Roon want a new server for something or other, either they can wait a few months for some spare subscription money, or draw on all that up front lifer cash. I don’t get all the “poor Roon - you should subscribe” arguments, they’re selling a service, and it’s not even cheap.

1 Like

I suspect the Roon owners, three I think, are doing OK.

Exactly, which is why all these sympathy posts should die.

2 Likes

My different point of view is: At the still recent lifetime price of $700.00 and soon new annual price of $150, the break-even is 4.67 years, if I purchase the lifetime licence until the end of the year.

2 Likes

My view is, if you’re committed to Roon, and able to afford it, a lifetime before the Jan 2023 price rise is the way to go. Then in 4.67 years you’re smiling… and probably much sooner.

4 Likes

and pray hard ROON will survive as long as I live …

from lifetime subscriber.

Why is there so much pessimism about the fate of Roon , why should it fail ? It’s doing fine as far as I see it.

We haven’t seen a user count for quite a while but at least 250k users must be healthy in a niche product

8 Likes

IMHO the description fits better on ROCK than Volumio, as I find ROCK clunky, limited and restricting. The 25% increase for a yearly Roon subscription did it for me. Alternative #2… here I come!