USB vs Ethernet connection

I use a Mutec -
https://mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php

I use the Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 with my DirectStream DAC (I2S input) and is fantastic:

https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/314.html

It supports USB conversion to AES3, SPDIF, I2S, and TOSLINK and is $379.

1 Like

I use the Matrix Audio Element X, which can be either a USB DAC or a network-attached DAC. I hesitate to make any strong claims about which is better for SQ, ethernet or USB. I find that ethernet is simpler and the connection seems to be more reliable. For USB, I feed the Element X through an ultraRendu, which added cost and complexity to the system and occasionally loses the USB handshake. Its main appeal to me is its support for HQ Player, which I enjoy tinkering with now and then. If the Element X ever adds support for a protocol (like Ravenna) to enable HQPlayer end to end over ethernet, I might ditch the ultraRendu, its power supply and associated cables, just to simplify my system. Right this minute, I’m listening with an ethernet connection and Roon upsampling. It sounds great.

The Element X would have to add code to allow it act as a HQPlayer NAA. Ravenna does nothing for you with HQPlayer.

I had understood Jussi Laako to state recently that HQPlayer can work end to end over ethernet using Ravenna as an alternative to NAA. But I’m happy to stand corrected if Matrix Audio’s only option would be NAA. Whatever works!

This got me the best Tidal sound into my PS Audio Perfectwave DAC. The Core does the first MQA unfold but my DAC is set to no MQA support as its not MQA capable. Its showing 96khz on the DAC aswell.

I’m running USB from a new HP Probook i7 intel cpu.

I had been running over ethernet to my CXN V2 (Roon Ready) streamer then optical to the PS Audio DAC. The max MQA I could get was 48khz.
I could however get 176hz streams from the stored 192khz files stored on the external HD.

Playing from the Tidal desktop app via USB was ok but not as crisp or vibrant as using Roon with the right setttings.

Previously all USB trials had always sounded terribly flat and soft. Very lifeless. But this may have been due to the cheaper and less powerful laptops I was using.

This gives me some confidence in going USB with a NUC Roon Core and possibly ditching the CXN streamer and putting money into the best DAC i can get. ( The Perfectwave is only on loan :frowning: ) .

Anyway I know retract some statements from other forums that USB always sound inferior to streaming or optical inputs. Its getting close to CD quality!!! lol ( Que the CD vs file war)

Out of interest why not use the CXN DAC and analogue to your amp. The sound quality and hi res limitations should go away, CXN will do 24/192

Coax does 24/192 optical is limited to 24/96

Not really, I have had 24/192 running on Toslink for years. It depends on the actual hardware.

Sorry I meant specifically on the CA CXN

1 Like

It might be that Brook prefers the sound of the decimation to DSD that the PerfectWave does.

The Perfectwave is a far better sounding DAC, regardless of the configurations. The CXN upsamples everything to 375khz and while it sounds very good the Perfectwave is another level.

This is more about how I always had disappointing SQ from USB into any DAC up until using a new laptop and Roon. Previously streaming with the CXN was always superior, but that has since changed