Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2021-2022]

@jussi_laako For testing the fixed rate output that seems to be required if I am using the UP Board - as per @dabassgoesboomboom - are these the correct HQPe settings for DSD256? I’ve unchecked ‘auto rate family’ as I understand that means the same thing as ‘adaptive rate output’. Suggestion: maybe give the same feature the same name across your products? :wink:

Since 99% of all music is base rate 44.1k, I output to 256x44.1k sample rate. Keeps modulator work a bit lower too.

Are you running amd build?

Running the x64 build on an Intel i9-9900k with 32gb RAM. Was a compact PC build I had prior but it seemed like a good option for HQPe for the time being. Might move to a 2022 Mac Mini M1Max when that is released in next few months.

Okay, so uncheck the ‘48k DSD’ check box and adjust my Bit Rate and Rate Limit to 11,289,600?

Adding: what happens on this same system when I switch from the Bluesound to Roon playing higher res files (192k and DSD rips) in my library? No issue?

This is what I uncheck btw along with Auto rate family being unchecked…

CleanShot 2022-02-14 at 15.03.43

Hihi, sorry I don‘t understand :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I just select the Airplay receiver in iOS or MacOS by name. If it is called Bluesound or whatever, it is just a click. What is not a click is, how Airplay protocol speaks to the receiver using ALAC or aac, You do not see this as this is hidden behind the scenes. But the measurememts are clear. Maybe I do not get the point what you want to say? Never mind. You got all links required.

Think you misunderstood me. I know it is easy to select the Bluesound via Airplay on iOS. That is why I bought it for my wife’s use. You asked me why I am not more concerned about Bluesound. I understand from your question that you think the Airplay stream from the ■■ is inferior to a RPi4 running RopieeeXL since that is using Airplay 1, which I am to understand is somehow ‘better’ than the ■■ because it is fixed at 44.1 output. Correct? The whole thing is crazy complicated because all I want is combine ease of use for my wife with the best upsampling quality I can for our system. It seems that it is death by a thousand cuts now that I have to question why the ■■ with Airplay 2 is worse than Airplay 1. Ugh.

nope Sir. It is about that you most prob stream all the time aac instead of ALAC. Pls. take the time to read the article. This is the very most important thing for your chain 1 SQ.

Okay. Will do. Hopefully it won’t say that I should sell the Bluesound. :wink:

1 Like

no no, it is an excellent device and Bluesound did nothing wrong at all. It is all about Apple. Bluesound did even team up for that Article. You may ask them too directly. For sure they will give you the latest update on this. ++ maybe they know a trick?

JMJ is doing 48…arrrrrggggg

if you do stereo only, i think you are already pretty fine. guess you need only more compute when you start upsampling multi channel. also, Jussi‘s images are pretty great. Would not give away this advantage when having a HQPe license.

Why? Is there something your 9900K can’t do?

I gave my 9900K to my old man (dad) when I updated to 11900K. For my fav settings (previously mentioned above) it is just as capable. ie he runs the same thing I do. No problems.

amd build of hqplayerd

Yeah, wasn’t sure. Mostly space utilization if it comes to it. But once I get this whole thing working reliably I probably will never want to change it!

Just confirming: uncheck 48k DSD box along with adaptive rate family, correct?

If you need static input rate, or can deal with manually changing it as necessary, USBStreamer is fine and easy.

1 Like

Don’t think that 48k DSD box makes a difference auto rate family off.

Give it a try!

Sure it does. There is a reason for that box…. :rofl:

Don’t think so for the case I mentioned above… fixed output 256x44.1k Hz …

e.g.

but much more interesting when not using poly-sync, e.g. Sync-M (still my favorite). Really a lot of hires is meanwhile 96 or 192…

But Jussi has an eye on this too here. Also it is a matter of great experimenting and exploring, once the hardware is set. it really makes sense to switch the settings imo depending on style, ….

Anyway, if I have read it right, Michael has a lot of files locally in Roon too. E.g. some DRM free hires albums. So, both chains should be capable to playing those too. It is not all about AM. The 48 Box is not accessable from HQPlayer Client, if I remember right. But I am not on HQPe with its webinterface.

If the DAC is capable of x48, why should one turn it off?

This was my concern as well. I have two audio streams to my Setup 1 Holo May DAC: the Bluesound/Apple Music/Airplay input and then my Roon library where, yes, I have a lot of higher res files at 96/192 & DSD64. I want to play both of these streams at different times. So by setting the HQPe for fixed output of 44.1>DSD256 (turning off adaptive rate family) am you saying that I will lose my ability to play these higher res Roon files?

That is my concern, but @dabassgoesboomboom will prob know better. But let him doublecheck. (Myself still thinking, if a little Mac as Airplay Endpoint and together with blackhole as virtual cable would not be a bad solution for you either (remember that proposal in the other group). but still not really convinced of it by myself. And taking a Mac for this job is a bit too much, I guess. So, waiting for that Mac Nano :slight_smile:

This is not an easy task…lol…Atleast I think so… :slight_smile: