Using iPad app to control Private Zones

So, the behavior of Roon with regards to remotes and private zones hasn’t changed since our launch in May, but I understand for many people this may be the first time you’re running this way, so let me try and explain some of the architecture – I think a lot of people are looking for something that’s coming soon, but isn’t part of the 1.1 or iOS release.

So, on OSX, Windows, and Android, Roon Remote can run its own “private zone”. This zone is private to the remote, and can’t be seen or controlled from any other devices.

Audio outputs connected to the Core can be controlled from any remote – this includes devices plugged directly into the Core (like a USB DAC), or network zones connected to the Core.

Right now, supported network zones include Airplay devices and Meridian zones. In the future, we’ll add RoonSpeakers to the list. The software will be made available for a number of devices and platforms, and it will work the same way as our other supported network zones, meaning if you’re running the Roon interface anywhere on your network (whether Mac, Windows, iOS, Android), you can control the zone.

One way to think of this evolution is that Roon is an all-in-one app – it runs the Core (read: server), runs the interface (read: control/remote), and it owns the audio outputs. The recently released RoonServer app separates the Core and audio outputs, allowing those two components to run in the background, completely separate from the Roon interface.

RoonSpeakers will do the same thing for the audio output, meaning you could have a computer or device in your house that always functions as a full-fledged, remote controllable audio zone for Roon, whether or not you’re also using the device for other purposes (such as running the Roon interface).

Let me know if that’s clear guys.

1 Like