Valence Art Director in Roon

You should not favorite low-resolution photos. Just because an image is “adjusted” does not mean it will be selected for use in Roon. That only happens when enough users “favorite” the image.

1 Like

Please enable downvoting bad stuff. Because you’re previewing in lo-res, how crappy it looks in the end doesn’t necessarily shine through, so you’d conceivably get people upvoting ok-looking thumbnail-sized files that look like crap once they’re in actual use.

Here’s a practical example, and actually a good case in point where mechanical turking the problem is the right way to go at it.

My guess would be that the original picture was extrapolated way beyond what it should’ve been, and then compressed within an inch of its life by some idiot before it was picked up by Roon, so this isn’t a case of something that could have easily have been caught by just saying “don’t use stuff that’s below n pixels high for banners”. The thumbnail actually looks pretty good, but in-app, it looks dreadful. So this, to me, would be a case where people need to be able to proactively downvote on IQ grounds.

2 Likes

Let’s see how it goes with the positive-only votes before I start complicating the mechanisms. Out of the images that already exist, we are already 20% done with nearly 100,000 adjustments. This is a living breathing project that will get better with feedback over time.

In a couple of weeks, I’m pretty sure I’m going to add some more shapes as well so we can optimize the mobile experience.

8 Likes

I’m looking in the art director tool. and i think it’s a good direction.
one problem is that now it’s still experimental… and you cannot really see the final result…

so, my opinion:

1. you can fix the position… if the 2 choices (circle and banner) work for all possible displays (monitor, smartphone, tablet) then: perfect!
  2. i don’t see why limit to only ONE picture. i mean… i’d like to see one main picture that I choose/prefer, but also (clicking on the image) see a gallery of the “approved” pictures in valence. maybe it’s going to work that way? so, i think the selection should be more subtle (the favourite ONE, and among those approved i should be able to remove some i don’t like and don’t want to see in the gallery…)
  3. you can upload pictures. FINALLY. here there are 2 alternatives: in the past you could upload your own pictures… but that does not work, as there are TOO MANY artists. so i like the other approach, that we can share the custom pictures. i understand the copy problems… but at the same time the pictures one can upload are already there in the internet…

anyway, whatever it’s going to work, i’m glad that the problem has been addressed…

3 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discussion on the ownership of uploaded photos

We will be introducing more “shapes” later. 4:3 is coming in a couple of weeks, to help with mobile.

It is. We will grab the top N images and show them all in Roon.

Yah, me too. I’m shocked at how fast you all are. Everyone has already gone through multiple % of the artists in less than 6 hours after release. This whole timing is going to feel so great in just a couple of weeks.

We have two users that have single handedly done monumental work in beta. One has changed heavy metal artists completely, and the other just transformed how Russian and Ukrainian pop artists are represented in Roon.

I’m so excited about the other crowd sourced project under the Valence umbrella: Quantum Timelines. I’ll write about it early next year.

2 Likes

well … very good.
i think that most of the people already had hundreds of pictures used in roon. i have a folder containing thousands. but uploading requires time, and in this period i don’t have much…
besides, it would be useful to see the final result… so i think i’ll wait for the official release before spending time in this task.

Valence Art Director was officially released today. Future improvements of the tool are more likely if many of us make good use of it and give feedback.

1 Like

So I had a quick play with 808 state and set an image I like and submitted it. It does not change my 808 state picture. Is the hope here I do this work and one day you may send it to my roon?

Presumably you’ll reduce the cost of roon with all this free help? (or better still at the very least then fix my image to the one I set!)

@Danny Please make logos a different category in the avatar section, so I can choose to ignore the logos as an avatar. At the moment my artists avatars are a mix of artist (people) and logos as I can’t filter the avatar photo with the artist (people) from the logos.

8 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: GIFs in Art Director

It does not appear to even fix them for the roon base, changes you make are not reflected in your library. This is a bizarre ‘feature.’

As I am typically a listener of more obscure artists without accompanying photos in Roon this is really cool.

However… (:slight_smile:) asking me to approve images in Art Director for artists I don’t know is strange to me. How do I know if the image is the artist I am being asked to approve? Feels a bit like Captcha. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Also I accidentally made an image ‘bad for roon’ and there is no way to reverse it. I see no purpose to this thing, you could have just allowed these simple editing tools for our database images and that would be progress. At this stage we are just data inputters for roon.

It can take up to 3-4 days for caches to refresh.

It’s ok, someone else will fix it.

It’s ok, no one is forcing you to use it.

4 Likes

No one is asking you to approve anything. We are asking you to adjust faces and stuff. It’s to tap into that human ability we all have from birth to be able to recognize faces.

We also ask you to “favorite” a photo from a set of photos. You don’t need to know the artist to just pick the best photo.

There is a lot of theory about crowd sourcing and the wisdom that can be extracted from these efforts. You can’t really mess up, the system is designed to prevent that. If you are malicious, we will take steps to undo that “work”. It’s also one reason we require a paid subscription to participate.

4 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discussion on the ownership of uploaded photos

Oh, c’mon @danny… Splitting hairs? :roll_eyes: The Art Director web page use case is what I’m referring to. Maybe “asking” was the wrong word. I didn’t mean that it was a term of my Roon usage. Epic fanboy here, fwiw.

That was unclear to me. Sorry.

I actually agree. I simply misunderstood that I was improving already approved image choices, not agreeing that it was the right artist for the image.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Discussion on the ownership of uploaded photos

5 posts were split to a new topic: Black area on side of artist photo banner