Valence Art Director in Roon

How are moderators instructed to deal with amendments?

I think that a face bleeding off-frame in a crop of a group shot is infinitely preferable to a visible edge of any kind.

Visible edges have no place in a circular crop as this runs contrary to UI design conventions in general – not just those used by Roon.

I only ask this because I think my amendment of Mercury Rev’s image has been rejected due to imperfect framing so the image in use as well as the AD option has reverted to this:

I don’t want to see any visible edges in Roon because they break established design conventions so I will always crop images with this in mind. You would not see an image like the one above in any product where round crops are used so I shouldn’t be seeing them in Roon.

By snippet, you mean this non-clickable card with one sentence? That is the blurbiest of blurbs. But I am psyched, just looking for more information. Definitely psyched for the team to get off of ArtDirector 1.0 and onto QT1.0!

i agree. that image “can not fit”.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Seeing different images in the circles at different sizes

I just have to say, I had a momentary frisson of pride / elation / guilt that I was the one who posted one of the feature requests that turned into Art Director. I’m sure Roon was already working on something, but as a user, this kind of stuff makes me real pleased. I know it’s not pleasing to everyone, but I do think, on average, it’s improved my experience and a lot of others’ as well, and it’s self-optimizing & learning. And if you hate it, sorry for my small part in it.

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Being asked to login on each visit to Art Director

@Danny ,
Sorry if you have already answered this but will the Art Director be implemented into Roon instead of an external website? That would be amazing! Just curious

No. Roon’s release cycle makes this type of thing impossible. We modify Art Director daily.

Until now I’ve erred on the side of keeping images up for consideration as long as faces aren’t too mutilated by the avatar crop but from this point on I’ll be much more discerning.

@danny I also get this a lot as well, which can’t be correct.

It is not a bug, it’s exactly the case Art Director is supposed to fix.

We happen to get one image for The Mar-keys that we license.

It hasn’t been adjusted or voted upon. So for Roon, this image doesn’t exist in Art Director. It just falls back to the old bad algorithm.

I went to go adjust the images for The Mar-keys just now, but that single image we have does not fit in a circle well, but I adjusted it for the banners. There was a logo, and I did adjust that so it fits in a circle.

So when the caches refresh, you’ll get the logo in the circle until someone finds a better photo.

But why is the avatar circle showing up on the now playing screen of an iPad? IMO it doesn’t look very good.

It knows nothing about the quality or the content of that image. This is the backoff design for when it knows nothing.

Make it better in Art Director and it’ll get better in Roon.

I’m not talking about the image at all, rather the look of having a circle in the middle of the iPad screen, it doesn’t seem to fit the look of the now playing screen.

I’m just curious why the cropping is bad on the iPad, the images have been zoomed in when it doesn’t need to be. This is for almost all images I’m seeing on my iPad compared to the TV.

The avatar photo I like most, is this of Elton John. It almost changes everything I open up Roon.
For such an artist it would be fun to have a shuffle option, always rotate the top five pictures. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still puzzled that enough people prefer the minor threat logo to Ian McKay”s grinning mug on a porch with that epic band. But there’s no accounting for taste :slight_smile:

Also Nico. Iconic photos exist of her, weird logos instead.

They don’t. It’s a cache left over from the profile abuse situation. The photo has 3 times the votes the logo does currently.

2 Likes

Showing a photo now for me. A huge number of logos for many single artists have been dumped.

Starting to see real improvements in my artist photo browsing as well. Been trying to upload some of the missing photos for my top band’s and help sort out some of the bad images.

Seems like a never ending task for the community, but improvement definitely seems to be in progress.

3 Likes