Valence Art Director in Roon

Happy to admit I was wrong here, noting a nice improvement in just a few days with way more images etc appearing in artists.

1 Like

Has your Amorphis banner image updated yet?

Here’s how mine looks, grabbed straight from Roon Valance with no customisation. :metal:

1 Like

Mine has updated to this image as well.
Pretty sure I voted for that one on my few long sessions so far on the website

Good addition. Did some edits and saw the edits back in Roon.

My only complaint is: don’t let the images be disfigured by the text “Improve this photo”, under the three dots is fine.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Now Playing displaying small image in circle

I am very happy that most of the photos of the artists I sent are already visible in the roon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am playing an album by L’Achéron, courtesy of Roon/Tidal, and I wonder why on the ‘Now playing’ screen there’s no option to display artist photos:

And yes, there are great artist photos available, both for the soloist and the ensemble:

I have seen this with other albums, too, and I wonder why that is so…

I’d prefer if the Reject choices were not in a menu but one-click accessible. Would be much faster to plow through images

no.

It depends, but votes will come and it’ll show up. it can take 3-4 days for CDN caches to refresh.

At least 1 (but your upload counts as 1), but sometimes it is more. It’s complicated.

Just be patient and you’ll see them soon enough.

You can always override them yourself in Roon. Note that if you used Roon’s metadata before, you were also on this “train”.

1 Like

I think Art Director is a great concept and agree crowd sourcing is an excellent solution for those who want to add a visual dimension to the Roon experience.

Hopefully, there will be many photos/graphics from which to choose - hi-rez should be a priority, but many historical photos are low-rez and should remain available.

Also, since this will encourage more Roon users to create rotating artist galleries, a variety of photo styles and visual perspectives to choose from will be helpful - not just photos centered in the banner display, or tight head and shoulders, for example.

I hope you will also detail exactly how to use Art Director. If I have created my own artwork, but need to use AD to to better center the avatar, how does that happen? And should AD be used before or after editing the new photo into Roon?

Finally, the artist galleries I’ve created before/after the 880/882 upgrades have not worked in Chromecast—- although the rest of the display casts as it should. I’ve opened this, along with others users, as a separate topic but am awaiting help.

I’m having a lot of fun with this feature. I’m primarily looking to populate some empty profiles for less prominent artists so I’m going a little slower than I’d like, simply because I’m trying to get formal permission for use of the images I’m planning to upload.

I am currently contacting the Benelux booking agency for an artist that hasn’t released music in over a decade.

5 Likes

I am a huge fan of this feature, and as an actual Art Director I love nothing more than finding the best image of all my artists as a rule! Will we eventually get the opportunity to edit the Artist Avatar and Banner independently? As of now you can choose not to go with the community chosen Banner, but this means that the Avatar is now a cropped version of the same image and you do not have the option of separating the two currently.

Keep up the good work gang, and I look forward to more functionality in this space. For now I will continue to obsessively adjust, crop and upload…

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discussion on the ownership of uploaded photos

I’ve been adding thousands of images over a long period of time, and it would be really cool if there was an easy way to get them transferred to art director.

12 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Aphex Twin logo is low res

FWIW I just started to “contribute.” The quote marks are because I have no way of knowing what value judgments anyone else has. But I’m centering / cropping images at the Art Director webpage.

My thought is that if Roon doesn’t want this to be haphazard affair, a few basic photo editing “best practices” might be published. Such as don’t “cut off” limbs at joints when cropping. It’s OK to crop “though” foreheads or forearms … our brains naturally fill in the missing parts. Maybe try for a rule of thirds perspective for banners.

3 Likes

I tried to write those rules, and failed to do so…

I did write a big of a faq/instructions (see “Tips” in the upper right, which used to be called “Help” but no one read it).

What I’ve seen is that some people are really good at this and some are exceptionally bad. The nice thing is that the good ones tend to fix the bad ones quickly.

If you have some suggestions @David_Deckert, I’m happy to take them and add them to the FAQ or make a new strategy guide…

2 Likes

Has anyone identified a good site to find non-copyrighted photos of musicians, past and present?

Wikipedia…

1 Like

The first one I looked at said, “You need to attribute the author.”

I think I’m going to avoid this conundrum.