Value of Lifetime Subscribers to Roon

Sure. I want Apple to succeed, but I don’t base my Apple purchases on what’s best for them. I give them the credit that they’ve put thought into their product lines and prices.

Are there other Apples? Only in the same way that there are other Roons.

Apples and Oranges. If you don’t get it, that’s fine.

1 Like

I don’t get it, that’s true. I’ve even read posts here from people asking whether lifetime subscribers should donate more money to Roon. Next we’ll hear about people including Roon in their wills. It seems cultish, but okay. I’ll stop typing and go listen instead!

Yes, I agree. Roon is a business, not a charity. I don’t think anyone at Roon ever asked for donations. That’s nuts. On the other hand, Roon is a small private company in a niche market. As customers, we have no idea how healthy they are financially. We want them to succeed in the long run.

1 Like

I think it’s great the offer 2 choices, but the lifetime is very expensive when you don’t live in the states, $700 equals almost $1000 Canadian, for me so not really worth it in my opinion.

But in fairness, you need to compare the buying power of $700 US dollars in the US versus $1000 Canadian dollars in Canada.

Either way very expensive for people living outside the states that use a weaker dollar. It’s almost 40% more for us.

I wonder how many people buy the lifetime as opposed to monthly or yearly subscribers

1 Like

But again, what can you buy with $1,000 Canadian dollars versus what I can buy with $700 US dollars? US dollars and Canadian dollars are not the same thing. How many pesos does Roon cost? I understand that the relative values do change.

1 Like

I finally went lifetime about a week ago. I mainly did it for similar reasons as @TuliaNonTroppo. I know they have been saying that they are going to get rid of the lifetime option at some point, the price will go up again if it sticks around. Now I don’t have to worry about it and I can just enjoy the music

4 Likes

Richard Thaler - Wikipedia
Strictly speaking, people actually don’t make ‘rational’ decisions that way. It’s complicated.

I don’t mind subscribing to access for some things. Netflix, Hulu, BritBox, Acorn, Apple Music, Qobuz… they come and go. I can end any of those at any minute and not blink an eye. If I don’t have the funds to keep any or all of those going—no. sweat.

Roon is the opposite. It is the interface to the digital music I already own. Qobuz subscription is just gravy. I would immediately miss Roon if it went away. If there comes a time when I can’t afford to pay for access, I don’t want it to go away.

1 Like

That does not sound like a rational calculation, but I’m glad that your decision has worked out for you. :slight_smile:

For an expense of $500 or $700, not everyone needs to make a rational calculation. You decide you want it, you buy it. It’s not a huge expense. Now, a $50,000 music system might be a different situation for many/most people.

1 Like

I’ve said before that I considered my purchase of a lifetime membership 4 years ago as equivalent to a Kickstarter contribution. The company is doing things I like so I’ll support to help insure it continues. If they had shut down a month later, sad, but I tried and they tried.

1 Like

It was a rational decision, as I mentioned in my original post there was no calculation. Roon offered a level of functionality & control that wasn’t available from any other vendor, “Fait Accompli.”