Very New to Roon - Newbie Thoughts

Did I do something wrong?

Not that I would know, but lots of people get really messed up moving music source from one place to another.

Ah okay! I thought you could tell something was wrong immediately from the screenshot! Had me worried there for a bit :joy:

1 Like

Is this why you said this - after @Jim_F 's comment? I actually didn’t realise that; I hadn’t started yet either so thanks for the heads up.

So I just stop the Roon software, transfer the files to the internal storage area of the NUC, then start it again when done? :thinking:

Yes, that’s right. You stop it in the ROCK GUI like you are showing.
You probably will be okay. But Roon can get confused if it is seeing new music added as it is trying to build the database.

1 Like

Perfect; thank you!

The guys are telling you the same thing. In some circumstances this won’t matter at all, and in others it will give you a lot of work afterwards, cleaning up the mess that Roons identifying process left behind.

Spend your money on a subscription to Qobuz or Tidal. Streamed music is where it’s all going, no need to spend money storing and serving your rips of legacy media. Most of what you’ve ripped will also be available from Qobuz, for example, often in higher resolution.

Hey Jez,

They definitely haven’t got what I’ve got!! I’ve got everything they’ve got in my genres - and then some! For Lossless music, been very underwhelmed with these music sites… not much classic RnB that I listen to. Albums you expect them to have, they ain’t got 'em - and in some rare instances, I’m having to go out and buy 2nd hand CD’s just to rip to flac. (Got everything in iTunes that I’ll ever need; but that ain’t the point; we’re on the hi-def/lossless train now!)

Did try Tidal trial for 4 months… they didn’t have anything that I didn’t already have. Roon though… it’s making me check out other artists who briefly appeared/cameo’d on albums that I love - and never knew!!

Love it!!

ps. Actually been up all night since that last post 6hrs ago!! :rofl: Mrs is well vex!

3 Likes

Thanks Mikael,

Tied both actually. For the main dump, I did as the guys beforehand said - and stopped the Roon server software, then restarted it afterwards. Worked flawlessly.

Then just now, dumped a couple albums directly into the Internal Storage folder on the share - as I know Roon is watching the folder… that has worked fine too!

So if it’s just a few, I’m sure it’s fine to just drop them in ‘live’. But if I’m doing a bulk drop, I’ll just stop the roon server first.

:facepunch:t5:

1 Like

Only for some definitions of “music.” Many of the new artists I follow on Bandcamp are not on Qobuz. Even for those who are, I prefer to buy Bandcamp downloads because I’d rather my favorite musicians get actually paid for their work. Bandcamp provides streaming, but unfortunately not through Roon.

5 Likes

Interesting. It may well be that the Bandcamp model supplants the Qobuz model, just as streaming has turned cds to history. My own way of getting money to musicians, given that I rarely buy cds, is to go to lots of concerts and gigs (at least it was until this terrible virus). But I was listening to Justin Kauflin online the other day and just PayPaled him $20 to say thanks.

2 Likes

Yep… Same! Love a bit of Bandcamp

Purchase; download in flac; straight into Roon! :facepunch:t5:

NICE!! At least you’re giving - and he’s getting something too. :clap:

1 Like

Bandcamp have had a few days where they pass their usual fees onto the artists, so these are worth looking out for when making purchases.

1 Like

Grab a used nuc from ebay. Damn near any will do.

Same here. I have a LOT of records that do not exist on Tidal OR Qobuz. Worse though is when I find a really cool record that I don’t have in digital form, so I’m all excited that TIdal has it, then they drop it from their base.

Bluesound loves to advertise that it can get “every record ever recorded” or something like that. I’d love to find out where they are keeping that bootleg that I made in '87, considering that I only made two copies, which I still have.

I came from the iTunes world so I keep two copies of my music. The iTunes is great for my little music platforms and the Roon is for my big music platform. I subscribe Qobuz and Spotify. I still buy music to keep up my music system libraries in sync. Just my preference. I run on a Mac Mini and I just implemented a NAS for my Roon music store. So far so good on the NAS.

I was exactly the same @LennyBoy … but Roon has well and truly taken over.

My only use for iTunes now is to look for albums I haven’t got in Roon - and then try and find them! That and for keeping stuff on my iPhone; in the car etc.

But that’s it!! When it comes to listening anywhere in the home, it’s purely a Roon ting now! Did a couple of short videos to WhatsApp to friends about Roon… next thing, they’re asking me about setup! :rofl: :rofl:

When you see a good thing, why mess around with all these other ‘inferior’ products!??

1 Like

I have to absolutely disagree with this. It’s true that streamed music is where it’s all going, but that’s in the mainstream. If you consider yourself an audiophile and you want hi-fi experience, meaning listening to music in the highest quality possible (within your financial possibilities of course), then streaming services simply do not offer the best quality recordings there are. The releases available on streaming services are typically remasters / remixes and from sound quality perspective they are worse than the originals in 99% of cases. The best quality releases are still mostly available only on physical media - CD’s, SACD’s, vinyl. And the difference in sound quality between good and bad quality album release is much larger than listening to hi-res, CD quality or even lossy mp3 of the same release. Physical media collections still matter for people that not only invest thousands into their gear, but actually care about quality of the recordings they are listening to as well. If you do not consider this, you are missing on a large part of what a resulted sound quality out of your system could be.

People research and invest in DAC’s, cables and whatever snake-oil stuff, and still keep ignoring the important stuff that really matters by relying on streaming services only.

4 Likes