Volume Levelling & Qobuz

I have set Roon to deliver the same volume on all the tracks in my library and this works fine

However, Qobuz streaming is not set to a constant volume so on shuffle I still have to amend the volume when tracks change. I am developing a repetitive strain injury in the thumb on my left hand.

Is it possible to volume level both library and Qobuz files?

Thanks

Volume leveling should apply to both local and Qobuz. Are you seeing no leveling when playing Qobuz but there is with local?

What do you have target volume set to in Zone settings? Try a greater number to decrease the difference between tracks.

Volume leveling depends on audio analysis of the dynamic range. Roon analyzes the music in your library. Roon does not analyze streaming music. They depend on info provided by Qobuz. When Qobuz first became available they did not provide that data and volume leveling did not work. My understanding is Qobuz has been conducting audio analysis in order to provide that data to Roon, however, it’s possible some of the tracks you are streaming have not been analyzed. They have a huge library and audio analysis is processor intensive, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they haven’t caught up yet.

Thank you both

I have changed the target volume and the advice re analysed tracks also makes sense - some of my mp3 and AAC files also do not volume level

In terms of my repetitive strain injury - I guess I will just have to wear a support bandage

Thanks both & best wishes

Has Qobuz actually attempted to analyze their library for volume leveling information? It doesn’t seem like much has changed since Qobuz joined with Roon. Dynamic range info is not displayed for Qobuz albums or tracks. Just wondering if this is another lost cause.

Hi David, the project to back-process tracks for volume levelling data was completed by Qobuz quite some time ago and they provide it for all new content as well. If you turn on volume levelling, you can see what offsets are being applied by Roon. However, at present, we don’t display dynamic range info in the same way that we do for local content.

Hey Joel. Thanks for the heads up. Since DR was not being displayed I wasn’t sure if the processing had been done. Good to know it’s on track.

Is there a mean to know/see if a Qobuz track or album have levelling data ? I have searched everywhere, especially in track display or album display, but I have never seen any information about that on any Qobuz track.

I know, if volume levelling kicks in (and it does), then there is probably levelling data, but I wish to see it as seen in https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/volume-leveling#Viewing_Volume_Leveling_Information

No only in the signal path when it is playing.

Thanks for this answer. If I set my target volume to -18Lufs (for example, I listen classic), if I see in the signal path -2dB then the album is mixed at -16Lufs, right ?