What am I not getting about Roon?

If there is a straight line to the house you can invite folks around to see your “linear power supply”…

3 Likes

Got to admire the ingenuity. “guys this is a crisis. We are at stage 4. We need a solution urgently…”

“I’ve got it! Create stages 5-8”.

1 Like

Are you in South Africa or is our plight newsworthy elsewhere , it gives a chance to properly evaluate an ipad as an end point !,

I :heart: Dragonfly Red

Is it possible you have missed the “add to library” button on the Tidal or Qobuz selections?

Nope, I am referring to the default version of the album that plays that is NOT in your library. I explained this in at least three ways in my comments, but people still seem to think I don’t understand basic functionality of the software.

I don’t have Quobus but on Tidal I’m a little surprised they don’t just pull across the ‘Mixes for You’ & ‘Suggested New Albums/Tracks’ into Roon. In the Tidal section of Roon they would just be blue text headers next to ‘Playlists’, ‘Genres’, ‘Your Favorites’. I know these would only be based on plays from Tidal but an obvious quick win isn’t it? Of course I have no technical knowledge so maybe this isn’t simple.

1 Like

Yes, that is the kind of stuff I am talking about. I thought the AI and recommendations engine was much more mature than it is. It does sound like they are working on it though, and it is nice to have bought into a system that is seen as constantly evolving. Excited to see where they take this over the next couple years. And you should really do yourself a favor and check out the free trial of Qobuz. Queue up the “Qobuz WOW!” playlist, and you will have a hard time keeping Tidal :wink:

1 Like

Yes this is insightful. Until recently there wasn’t any visible implementation of any AI - I believe the old “library only” radio was based on fairly simple local algorithms – but the new Radio does seem to know what it’s doing. That could be taken from “listen to this track now” Radio to visually represented recommendations. That could be the underpinnings for a new and improved Discover.

That said, I do wish Roon would let us lay out some of our own pages using a choice of features and functions.

1 Like

I am not a jerk,and sorry for responding to you in the way I did.

Initially when I posted the OP yesterday, I received a lot of very terse responses to a post I spent a lot of time explaining clearly what my issues and concerns were. Many gut reactions and assumptions to my post criticizing the service, rather than a desire to help. I guess I lumped you into that category, but given this response, you seemed genuinely interested in helping me. Accept my apology. All is well, I am happy with Roon now, despite some limitations which I am sure will be resolved in time.

1 Like

Hi Kevin. I’m glad your getting some of the info you need. As a said over the FB group that we’re both in, the iPad makes a big difference. Also consider getting a few Chromecast Audios while they’re still (somewhat ) available. Having a few zones setup really adds to the overall value prop as well.

I actually have a few older iPads floating around. If I find one that works I’ll lend it to you.

Cheers - Bob.

2 Likes

That’s a really sweet offer Bob, but I will save for one to grab this fall. Regarding CCA’s, I do have quite a few endpoints now that I have looked around (three apple TVs, a Sonos speaker and a MyRo Control Air Dac). So I am good on end points, LOL

Does the iPad app offer the same functionality as the desktop like ‘Focus’ or is the advantage over smartphone simply having the bigger screen?

Thanks!

Kevin,
You’ve referred a couple of time about prioritising your preferred version of an album but roon reverting to a lesser quality one.

You seem reluctant to “add to library”.

This it seems to me is how you improve your usability within roon.
Just adding to library only creates a shortcut to the chosen version. But will enable your preferences as you seem to want.

The album isn’t downloaded, it is still streamed to your device. If you change your mind it is easy to remove from your library. Apart from a line of code it takes little room in your library, so there’s no reason not to.

Creating your library this way enriches the experience.

Just be sure to backup your roon database as some time later if you haven’t, it is a momentous and horrifying thought to have to start rebuilding from scratch.

As from this thread you have discovered there is greater depths to this software than is at first transparent. Like most subscribers, it soon becomes a tool to enable fantastic opportunities for discovery. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. There is nothing else to compare it to for functionality.

2 Likes

Let me try to explain this again. I am not reluctant to add to library, I understand that this doesn’t actually download any music; I understand how it works, and I add to library all the time.

My concern:
When searching for an album, sometimes you would like to just press play and listen to your preferred (best version) of the album without drilling down through the “versions” button to find the best one. As it is today, in my system which consists of lots of ripped CDs, Tidal and Qobuz, the Roon software always gives preference (chooses it as the first choice when it is not already in my library), the Tidal CD quality version of the album. My ideal would be to turn over control to me for this choice (I would pick the highest res Qobuz version given the choice).

I have a couple reasons for this:

1. If it gave me the choice, I could “Add to library” instantly, from the first selection, and know I am getting the highest res Qobuz version, rather than drilling down to pick the one I want to add to library. Less clicks is better interface design.
  2. If I decide to NOT add it to my library, I can just press play, and know which version I am getting. Either the best Qobuz version, OR if that is not available, the best Tidal version. Rather than CD quality by default.

I sincerely hope this helps to explain my concern.

Best,
Kevin

2 Likes

And it simply works, and works brilliantly! I can go to just about any room, pickup a tablet(or phone), and have music playing within seconds.

Now I gotcha. As lucid a description of a new feature request as I have seen here. I would vote for it in a heartbeat.

1 Like

Yes, as the tablet screen size allows it to.

1 Like

I’m always amazed at how deeply a lot of people interact with the music collection / server. I used JRiver for years, and now am a lifetime subscriber to Roon. I’m not sure how well it suits my needs, and the detailed use cases often make me stop and think, “wow, that’s really clever”, but I really enjoy using it. It makes me realize how futile it is to really “organize” my music interests within the confines of how much time I can spend listening.

I’m like several other posters - I put together a system I love, and Roon seemed like the ideal front end for it. I didn’t want to have to think about which music server front end any more than I wanted to think about a new pre-amp or any other component. I haven’t even come close to learning the new capabilities, and I found all kinds of good info in this thread. Thanks for posting Kevin.

1 Like

wow…have just listened to a couple of great albums…much more fun than all the chat …:slight_smile:

2 Likes

A few of us can listen and chat at the same time :open_mouth: