What are Roon's real advantages over Audirvana+ or other similar Mac solutions?

I did not extensive research here. I think that if you use analysing volume levels in Audirvana, it fills ReplayGain tags in files that are missing them. I was instantly put off by seeing updated last modified date of my flac files.

In the past I was testing Emby and I clicked something called “update my library” or something like this. I hoped it would refresh displaying metadata and it deleted all album arts from files tags. That was terrible and I lost tedious hours to fix it.

Since then I am strongly against audio playback soft that touches my files. It should be done as it is in Roon - own database (or any place) for data overriding instead of editing actual files. Even if I edit a tag via Roon, it is - again - kept in a separate place. There are a lot of good programs for tags editing. From a music player I expect playing the music, not editing files. Unless clearly said with huge red exclamation mark

Still waiting for an answer to my query above…

LMS/Squeezebox ecosystem (still maintained by a community group even though Logitech dropped years ago) provides a central music server that can play to multiple endpoints, either synched or different things. And these multiple endpoints can include iPhones and iPads (running iPeng, squeezepad, and probably other apps as well). These apps allow the phone/pad to emulate a squeezebox device. EDIT: And one can use local music, Tidal, Qobuz, and Spotify). Edit2: And LMS recently updated to allow for “integration” of external libraries with internal libraries so that one sees one’s music library in an integrated fashion, regardless of source. It’s not intensive “information” that Roon provides, but it is a move in the direction of an integrated library without regard to music source.

1 Like

Thanks; am checking LMS out - though I think their Squeezebox is far from ideal, as one cannot even see the library in list view…all I see is an amp-like UI with two lines plus a graphic EQ…

Ricardo, Hmmm, that’s not correct. I can see full library list view, among other views. It’s pretty highly functional (particularly if I use the newer “material” skin GUI). I’ve used it for 15 years, and pre-Roon I considered it the best music server/library available, hands down. Anyhow, this forum and this thread probably not the place for a detailed review of all things squeezebox.

1 Like

Sorry Garym, I am basing my assessment on SoftSqueeze for Mac (just installed it and testing) - I do not have a Squeezebox per se. Am I missing something?

Yeah, SoftSqueeze for Mac is like evaluating Windows by looking at the DOS 3.1 version. Not only that, that’s the player (endpoint) software, rather than the full library software. There are modern “software” versions that emulate squeezebox hardware (called squeezelite) that does all sorts of things in terms of endpoint/player. But I just threw that info out there to specifically address your question. Plenty of other former/current LMS users on this forum now that use Roon either instead of LMS or in addition to. But I can’t answer your question with a couple of paragraphs, just like I can’t tell someone why “roon” in a couple of paragraphs. I’m sure you understand.

I do - tks. Will keep on looking.

active and helpful squeezebox forum at:

To test, you’d want to install LMS from here:

And then in the settings section, I’d suggest installing the “material” plugin to get a better webGUI.

Any further questions, I’d direct you to the forum above, as I’ve already taken too much time on this in a Roon forum. Regards.

I’ve checked them out, they are amazing! Thank you.

What is amazing?

If you go to the post you’re questioning and click on the person that the post is replying to, you can see the other half of the conversation.

I did and could not see the exact reference - was it about Euphony in general?

There are some remote apps that allow access to Qobuz, Tidal and DLNA , Eg mConnect but it’s effectively 3 apps in one, it’s not integrated like in Roon.

I have a Cambridge Audio CXN which as a dedicated app which does much the same

I can’t comment on Squeezebox

Tks, Mike - as I see it, the only alternative that approaches what I want is LMS - but its interface is just too awful/WinAmp-ish for me. Plus it does not really integrate all content from both streaming services and local files.

I am just flabbergasted to see that Roon is the only paid/free solution that seems to do it all in an elegant manner (almost, since HRA Streaming is not available); though I enjoy using A+, its remote app is just that: a remote for the computer, i.e. useless for me whenever trying to hear music at home from my iPad or iPhone.

So perhaps the USD 700 price tag is justified after all.

I have been digital for around 10 years , I scour the options regularly.

I used and still use JRiver but they will never do streaming their CEO/ Owner is adamant, he believes they not financially viable. That said it’s the most flexible interface for a local library as YOU can define what it all looks like,

This is DLNA hence the comments on mConnect.

Roon integrates, love it hate it’s the best I have found, and I have looked believe me

I still am on annual and will probably stay so, I am 70 !! , not a pessimist :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just checked mConnect - not that bad; but it does not seem to work well with the LMS server I had set up; local content is fine, but the LMS-served Tidal content is always freezing.

LMS isn’t DLNA is it ?

They all suffer the same way , a limited Album, Artist ,Playlist View normally no way of splitting Rock from Classical etc

Nope, LMS is NOT DLNA/UpNP. It was created many years ago to do a better job with music playback and synchronized playback, gapless, etc. It was clearly anti-DLNA. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Tidal works fine on LMS, but never heard of mConnect?? (Also, within LMS there is plugin to allow it to work with a upnp/DLNA player. But this approach is NOT using LMS in a normal way (which is not DLNA). So your tidal problems may relate to that.