What can I do to improve my metadata matches?

A big table like that isn’t really necessary for us as we only use a scant handful of tags (album, artist, albumartist, track name, track number, and media number) in addition to the file and folder names and track lengths to identify.

As for which specific tags we look for to get a value for say “artist”, our goal is to use every commonly found tag out there. When I get reports of a missed identification, I can examine the files’ tags via the contents of the support package. Whenever I find something we aren’t looking at, I add it immediately. So I highly recommend including a support package with reports of wrong or missing identification.

I hesitate, further, to provide a list as I don’t want it to appear that we recommend widespread grooming of tags. In most cases we’re going to identify the files without even looking at the tags and get full metadata from the cloud, so the grooming would’ve been wasted effort. I would only recommend adjusting tags if identification fails and the album in question is either composed of very few tracks or is missing some tracks. Even then, it’ll eventually be much easier to do the editing within Roon.

As for your second question, we don’t do any acoustic fingerprinting at this time but I’m aware of the possibility and will certainly consider adding it once I get a sense of how well we’re doing as is and assess the need. The good news is, even without good artist or album title strings from tags or the directory name, if your files are properly numbered and none are missing or extra we have a very high success rate identifying by approximate CD TOC. This is why I’m harping over and over on file/folder identification: if you get that right, everything just works.