What Did I Miss?

Held off upgrading to 1.8 until today, and will a bit of trepidation due to reading this forum, I bravely hit the update button. What I found is a slightly different version of 1.7. The layout has some minor changes, more a step sideways than anything. I miss that each track doesn’t declare which playlist it is in (C’mon Roon guys, fix that!), and scrolling through my tags hung a couple of times requiring a relaunch. But in every other regard things functioned normally. The new layout was is easy to discern and navigate. I’m neither thrilled with1.8 nor disappointed in it. Seems like mostly same 'ol same 'ol to me, which is ultimately a good thing.

I can’t imagine the pressure Roon must be under to come up with something new in these major updates. Yet how far can this actually be taken? How much more there is there?

In any case, thanks to all who dove in early and bore the brunt of the pain so that someone like me can waltz in like Thomas Jefferson in Hamilton and gleefully declare, what did I miss?

With tablets, there’s now a portrait mode. That’s the v1.8 headline feature.

1 Like

The fact is can’t find and hides a lot of your library from along with shelving useful features you was the major update in this version. Regression seems to the the new thing.

Settings > general > show playlist links

2 Likes

True… but, the links are only shown:

• on the album page (not on the artist page, not in My Library > Tracks)

• and only on the condition that it is a library version that you have in your playlist. It is - unfortunately - perfectly possible to have a track in your library and the exact same track in a playlist without the last one being considered as “the library version” - and without any easy way to make that track in your playlist “the library version”.

I am new here, so I have no idea if this was different before 1.8

1 Like

It was just the same.

I for one hope that it wil be easier in 1.9 or 2.0 to see which tracks are in which playlists.

1 Like

This all arises because Roon makes a distinction between different instances of tracks - library ones (which may have edits) and non-library ones. This distinction may change in the future.

1 Like

I know, thanks for the info.

1 Like

I tried to bring together in one “feature request” some of the problems that follow from the library/non-library issue. Solve the library/non-library conundrum and all the complexities it creates for tagging, focus, playlists etc

2 Likes