What do most people use HQ player for?

Super, thanks, polyphase that rings a bell.

Thanks!

I have googled the words, that did not mean a thing to me. By reading a lot I managed to figure out the very thinnest layers of content, but Jussi is a busy man, an adequate manual for what everythings mean should keep hom occupied a while. Not that it is not wanted, I would lova to dive deeper, but have resigned and accept that some guys know enough to make this for me. Together with some of the wonderful people here, I am still in school, many thanks for the patience. :slight_smile: :heart:

My use of HQP has changed since I first wrote in this thread many years ago. Iā€™ve been using a Holo Audio Spring I DAC for a few years and am currently thinking about a May.

The Spring has separate R/2R boards for PCM and DSD, meaning that the DSD input is never converted to PCM. It also has a NOS setting which completely bypasses internal oversampling. The result is about as minimalist as you can get in a DAC. Everything is done in HQP.

In HQP the Settings I use are ext2, ASDM7EC, DSD 256. This is a very popular choice and sounds very transparent and natural to me. I am using a dedicated (Roon and HQP) Server with an i7 7700 (not K) with a GTX980 graphics card for CUDA, running Linux Ubuntu 22 with Jussiā€™s low latency kernel.

I get an occasional dropout when playing streaming source material above 48k. Local hires has no dropouts. The dropout only occurs when a track is loading at the start of an Album. I think it has something to do with the way my ISP delivers the data and how Roon buffers it.

I have used convolution with a room treatment WAV in HQP in the past, but am not using it at the moment. I have active bass speakers and am still finding the best gain setting for quiet and medium volume listening. I will probably do a new series of sweeps and have Thierry at HAF do some filters.

6 Likes

Apologies to allā€¦ā€¦ā€¦Iā€™m lost. I have a Warwick Aperio which plays DSD tracks. The entire design is integrated to optimize the sound. I also have a DCS Lina Dac. I donā€™t connect it to Aperio as I donā€™t want to take away from the AIO design optimization of Aperio. So Apologies for the simplicity of my question. What will HQP do that the internal Aperio Dac doesnā€™t or the Lina Dac addition. Is HQP doing something to improve the sound over and above what these manufactures say their design accomplishes? I was always in the thinking that anything you add to the chain takes away from the sound quality?? Also I have a Nucleus connected

This is the product description Iā€™m referencing

All digital data is kept in its native format before being converted to analogue in the APERIOā€™s DAC section. Any DSP performed (on PCM data) is double-precision, 64-bit, fixed-point, at native sample rates ā€“ equal to the best professional Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs). Within the APERIO DSD data is not converted to PCM; and, analogue data is not converted to digital data.

So my basic question is will HQP screw this up?

Understand the point. I also look at Aperio as an AIO.Itā€™s a Streamer, Dac, Amp, HP all cables, and network player. Those individuall can even surpass Aperio in costā€¦just saying

So my basic question is will HQP screw this up?

HQP will definitely not screw things up unless you choose the wrong settings (like upsampling with no digital headroom, no dither/noise shaping enabled etc)

HQP will likely improve the digital filtering.

But why not do the fully featured free trial and decide for yourself?

HQPlayer is high performance replacement for resource constrained DSP inside DACs.

None of the DACs currently on market have enough built-in computing power to do all the needed DSP in best possible way without having to cut corners due to insufficient computing resources.

6 Likes

Not sure I doā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.the curse of the never ending search for the holy grail of sound performance etc

1 Like

Is it an absolute truth? :slight_smile: How about the Linn Klimax DSM/3 which has been received high praises from various well-known reviewers?

Would be interesting to see some objective measurement data. Iā€™m happy to measure it, if someone wants to lend it or come for a visit with one.

By the way, I couldnā€™t find what kind of EQ / convolution / digital room correction features it has? Can you upload unlimited parametric EQ or convolution filters to it?

But since it has less than 100W power consumption, it already tells it has pretty limited computing power compared to modern PC which can draw close to 1000W to power about 100 billion transistors doing the work. At way less than $5000 total, while having capability to post on this forum while doing all the computational work.

1 Like

Linn uses its own proprietary DSP algorithm call Space Optimization (Space Optimisation | Technology | Linn), so no possibilty of loading any EQ / convolution / digital room correction features.

That sounds more like what Devialet has. But missing the room part, so just some unknown speaker corrections. And doesnā€™t cover headphone corrections?

Is that processed for DSD sources without any rate conversions?

2 Likes

I do not think there is any for headphone corrections.

I believe it converts DSD to PCM before doing any DSP works.

Would be immediate no go for meā€¦ Since it would convert DSD to PCM and then back to DSD again, since itā€™s a ā€œdiscrete DSD DACā€.

I think Linn does not believe in DSD, PCM is native to this DAC.

Yet the D/A conversion section is a discrete ā€œDSDā€ converter (what they call Organik DAC)?

Thereā€™s nothing native PCM to that one.

(maybe they looked at my DSC1 :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

I think these are listed in its technical specs:

Modulation method ā€“ Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Delta-Sigma
Conversion stage ā€“ Discrete Analog Finite Impulse Response (AFIR)
Implementation ā€“ Ultra-stable power, precision clocking, and expert PCB design

My understanding is that Linn added DSD support recently just due to some popular demands.

Yes, thatā€™s what I mean, and what I look at the PCB photos.

Certainly nothing to do with PCM on that one.