What does Force Rescan of a watched folder actually do?

If you use the folder-level rescan (based on modification times) and avoid touching files that don’t need to be touched, Roon will handle the tag updates incrementally without involving files that didn’t change–that is your best bet for efficient partial updates.

If you’re doing global stuff to XXX,XXX files, and you’re gonna touch every one–yeah, do as much as you can up front, then let Roon chug overnight on a select-all-rescan.

The python code that reads and writes to and from the SQLite table and the flac files preserves mod time of the files because it writes everything back to the file metadata without checking whether or not there was a change. Most of my changes are en-mass anyhow e.g. global fixes of artist names, composers etc.

Could you kindly tell me what delimiters Roon does recognise? I’m failing to find this clearly documented.
In the track artist field I’m using ;;; as a delimiter, as used in Yate metadata editor and apparently recognised by other music players. I’ve seen reference to Roon recognising a semi-colon but it doesn’t seem to include all my track artist and I can’t work out how it is reacting to ;;;

Roon will use its own metadata for all tracks unless you set it to prefer yours … it recognises ; as a delimiter.

In my case I have many albums not in Rovi’s database, so for a large contingent of my unidentified albums Roon will need to continue using my metadata…hence my need to do a little cleaning up.

Thank you. This may seem OT but is heavily related: I can see that there is a way via Focus to see which albums Roon has identified, but is there a way to select only those albums that it has NOT identified?

Then click on the focus to invert it

@brian, am I correct in surmising that if Roon has completed its Audio Analysis of all files in a library, the library is moved to another path whilst Roon is not running, Roon is then run and a Force Rescan is run to expedite the library disappearing in Roon, following which Clean up Library is run, Roon is exited, the library is returned to its original path and Roon is run again… all cruft will be gone and Roon will rebuild is database using data it has already downloaded and it will not need to reanalyze the files?