What is the latest concert you've been to? [2016-2019]

Beethoven 5 by Pynarello:

Not your regular Beethoven: orchestra playing standing up, moving about, interacting, smiling. Instrument sections mixed up, no sheet music, no conductor.

Not a half-hearted experiment, mind you – these are top-notch musicians (Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, amongst others) truly creating new experiences. I have never heard Beethoven so much alive. Impressive.

3 Likes

Just recovering from a sensational night as we hosted Angel Snow

The purity of her voice has to be heard to be believed, and such great songs. She has written for Allison Kraus.

Check this out on Tidal

Elles Bailey and her Band.

This is soul blues played to perfection. They literally rocked the house. Incredible.

The Sean Taylor Trio playing some Blues like you never heard it before

Hard House Rave anyone? Go see them to find out what that’s all about. Not sure who else would have been able to follow The Elles Bailey Band.

1 Like

Hope I can talk about a forthcoming concert without getting moderated :sweat_smile:

Folks may remember The Saints, an amazing Brisbane band that were absolute trailblazers in the 70s. Wikipedia says “Their early sound was a hybrid of Howlin’ Wolf, Pretty Things, and The Stooges; it “eventually coalesced into [their] own distinctive sound as defined by Kuepper’s frenetic, whirlwind guitar style and Bailey’s arrogant snarl””

If you haven’t already heard them, this is what we’re talking about:

The guitarist and co-founder of The Saints, Ed Kuepper is music royalty in my home town Melbourne. People speak in distinctly reverential tones about him.

The Saints disbanded in 78 or thereabouts and the members went their various ways. In the late 80s/early 90s the singer, Chris Bailey, continued with various incarnations of a band called The Saints, but Ed wasn’t in it except as a bassist for a short period in 84 (they have subsequently co-operated in later one off reformed events).

Ed formed a grunge band in 91 with Kent Steedman from Celibate Rifles on bass, amusingly named “The Aints”.

Now it’s 40 years after the first Saints albums and Ed is touring Australia with the Aints, playing music from the first three albums, (I’m) Stranded, Eternally Yours and Prehistoric Sounds. These are all on Tidal, so you have no excuse for not listening to them (there will be a short quiz next week, I don’t want to keep seeing all the same hands).

Andrea and I are going to see “The Aints play the Saints” at the Corner Hotel on Saturday 18 November. To say I’m pretty toey about it is a distinct understatement.

We saw Wild Ponies at a house gig in a 300 year old room. This was an wonderful experience. Real music in real space. Privileged
Their new Album GALAX, Recorded Live in a Barn in Virginia is just brilliant. Check them out.

Doug and Telisha Williams. Katie on percussion and Mandolin.

Second row in the middle and slightly obscured if your interested lol

Eilen Jewel, tonight. Incredibly good, thoroughly enjoyable, highly recommended.

1 Like

Just been offered a free ticket to see Gretchen Peters at Union Chaple tonight. Her last UK gig this year. I will have to miss Guitar Club but I am going…

I’m queued outside, it’s sold out. Luckily bought my tickets months back.

1 Like

Gretchen Peters, Union Chapel , London. November 7, 2017

Enjoyed the music, but I have to say, Gretchen’s a songwriter of note and her lyrics are often heavy. Beautiful work, but for me, something best consumed when listening alone and wanting to reflect quietly. Eilen Jewell was by far a better live performance experience.

We loved the Gretchen Peters show and what a lovely venue. I was lucky to get given free tickets by a friend who couldn’t go. We even had seats third row aisle.
Gretchen had a Happy Birthday sung by the audience as it’s coming soon, this led to ‘Bus from St. Cloud’ and ‘Five Minuets’. Pure magic for me! It was great to meet some friends from the LRB at the gig.
It’s nice to hear Ben Glover get a good mention for co writing, we hosted him recently also. That was a perfect day…

Franck Carducci Band at Festival Les Grosses Guitares Acte II yesterday evening

Saw Fink in Cologne (Germany) yesterday. Very groovy and awesome sound. Instead of a supporting act they showed a film about the history of making a record. Unusual, but why not.

Was in Belgrade working for a few days and extended the trip to catch Beth Hart on Saturday. Not overly familiar with her work, but a thoroughly enjoyable gig. She was at her best belting out the louder blues numbers, but also did a cracking solo piano version of Sam Cooke’s “A Change Is Gonna Come” Belgrade is a pretty lively city, and seems to have a decent music scene. Picture below stolen from the balkanrock.com website - I’m sure they won’t mind… Serbian language review here - http://balkanrock.com/beth-hart-beograd-ostavila-bez-daha/ Google translate is your friend…
beth-hart-04

Beth Hart is great, worth checking out her work with Joe Bonamassa.

She is on the same shortlist as Elles Bailey who we hosted recently for Vocalist of the year.

§

“Just woken up to see that I have been nominated as best female vocalist in the European Blues Awards alongside vocal royalty that is Sari Schorr and Beth Hart :heart_eyes: - I’m in totally shock and am totally humbled to have been nominated!

Its a public vote and would be amazing if you could head on over and show some love at https://tinyurl.com/ycr6kcbf

You don’t have to input your email or anything so will take just a couple of secs … there are some amazing artists nominated in lots of different categories :slightly_smiling_face: Voting will close Sunday 12th November…

Happy voting !”

2 Likes

I just came back from the “Fleet Foxes” concert in Berlin. It was great!

3 Likes

Just recovered from seeing Queens Of The Stone Age in Amsterdam this Sunday. Djeeez what a show. Incredibly loud as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Saw Kelela at Bowery Ballroom last night – ~600 capacity venue, and she was on :fire:

How were Fleet Foxes @crieke? Missed them this past summer :frowning:

Santana at Amelie Arena in Tampa. Great show!

santana

1 Like

It was a really great show. It was the second time I saw them live and I liked both concerts. But I enjoyed this concert even more! They are musically brilliant.
The only downside was the venue, as its architecture is not ideal (soundwise).

(I also had to buy their latest vinyl at the merchandise.)

1 Like

Saw A Perfect Circle here in Syracuse, NY on Sunday night. Strictest ‘no cellphone use’ policy I’ve ever encountered, so much security it almost took away from the show. I didn’t see them throw anyone out, but security spoke to anyone who took out a cellphone. Anyhow, good show, but no pics.

2 Likes

Superb 2hr 40 min show by Pat Metheny group NCH Dublin 131117. First time he has played in Ireland, hopefully not the last.

2 Likes