What’s the point of Apple TV as Roon endpoint?

Hi,

I have the option to select our Apple TV as an audio zone. When I connect to the Apple TV, I’m prompted to write a four digit code. When I do, nothing happens. If I try again, the same prompt appears, and I’m in an endless loop :roll_eyes: And what is the point of an Apple TV as an audio zone with only a HDMI port? Should there come a Roon interface up on the TV when connected successfully ? I think that would be highly unlikely. Please enlighten me :pray:

It’s there for people who want to use it. If you don’t, don’t enable it.

2 Likes

See,

A “Now Playing” style screen is displayed on TV with audio of course.

1 Like

Usefull reply :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I don’t use my Apple TV with Roon, but if I wanted to, Roon finds and connects to all available end-points. My HDMI goes to LG OLED TV, then HDMI to Bose system. It’s a way to play music if you don’t mind the Apple limitation of 24/48.

1 Like

Thank you very much :+1:t2: Unless you use Toslink out from the TV, I still don’t see the point. Sound from a TV speaker does not seem to be aimed at the typical audiophile Roon user :thinking: Thanks again for a useful response :+1:t2:

And some people do …
It makes for a cheap Roon endpoint if you have a TV in the bedroom or something

1 Like

I’m one of those people for my bedroom system.
Apple TV > Mid-Fi receiver via HDMI
Receiver > wired stereo speakers and HDMI to TV.
TV audio comes through Receiver as does Roon if I want to listen to music.

2 Likes

I use it in the bedroom as its there, but yes its a totally flaky experience connecting to it with roon.

If you have a sound bar it sounds ok for casual listening.

1 Like

Thanks for the instructions regarding the password etc. I got that working just fine with Roon now, but I don’t see any kind of ‘Now Playing’ screen - it just goes to the AppleTV screensaver. What do I miss ?

There is an app you can download, dont know if that helps.

After awhile mine goes to now playing. I don’t know how to force it there. Maybe turn off the screensaver.

From memory it is an Extension in Roon, works well and it’s free.

1 Like

How/where do you install the extensions? :thinking:

It’s in the App Store on the Apple TV, simply install from there

1 Like

TV remote app?

1 Like

there is a single search result if you search for Roon in the Apple TV’s App Store …

Yes.
It makes for a nice display but using it to select music is a bit wonky as it requires scrolling with the Apple Remote so I use it as a display only.

1 Like

Use your phone then. The apple remote is the single largest travesty ever to befall the tech community and roon gives you options