What we are listening to [2020]

Really outstanding album from Laura. A classic.

4 Likes

Good Friday for me every year means Parsifal.
Imo Knappertsbusch is definitely first choice. There are 11 recordings released conducted by Kna.
The 1962 recording is the “classic” one. Jess Thomas was one of the best heldentenors of his time singing a beautiful Parsifal. Hans Hotter is the greatest Gurnemanz of all singing with great authority. George London portrays an intense Amfortas.
Kna is obviously loving every minute of the music and let us hear an overwhelming musical flow. A mightily impressive, deeply moving spritual experience.

Maybe Kna’s 1964 recording is even more colourfull with Jon Vickers, the best Parsifal you can think of and Hans Hotter was for some reason in better voice.
The 1951 was the only known recording until the 1962 was released. It has a wonderfull young Windgassen and Martha Mödl in the second act sexier than Irene dalis.

The intensity and spirituality Karajan achieves is at least on the same level of Knappertsbusch. Kurt moll is imo the most beautifull and strongest post-war Wagnerian bass matched by José van Dam’s agonisingly beautiful singing of Amfortas. Peter Hofmann is a strong and intense Parsifal. The Berlin Philharmonik is a wonder orchestra and with Karajan the real stars of this recording.

Unfortunately, my wife has prevented a 3rd one. I would have played the beautiful Kubelik recording. Recorded in 1980 but not released until 2003 because Deutche Gramophon preffered the Karajan recording. Though at least at the same level as Karajan. Tomorrow i will give it a try.

8 Likes

RoonShareImage-637221362945854510

6 Likes

3 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/9eDbEIk.png

4 Likes

Glad you like it, she really goes from strength to strength every album.

1 Like

Been a fan right from the start - her first album is still my favourite - such an amazing piece of work for a 16-year old.

indeed, shes come along way since being in Noah and the Whale.

1 Like

51h4ObzMy8L

3 Likes

6 Likes

3 Likes

Agreed…especially if recent releases are taken on their merits, without having to be compared to their first or perhaps second release.

Cheers. :musical_note:

2 Likes

RoonShareImage-637221477531259610

4 Likes

RoonShareImage-637221468715862870

5 Likes

RoonShareImage-637221612504197808

3 Likes

This came free with Gramophone magazine this month. It’s also available to download free on the Channel Classics website.

https://www.channelclassics.com/30years/

1 Like

7 Likes