What we are listening to [2021-01 to 2021-03]

A mid-day stroll down the halls of the Baroque led to this excellent album of Zelenka and Pisendel concertos performed by the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra (from Deutsche Harmonia Mundi in 1995). Why these composers are so infrequently performed, I’m not sure. The concertos are lively and very colorful, scored for horns and winds in addition to strings (similar to some of Bach’s Brandenburgs). The oboe and bassoon playing is especially nice.

RoonShareImage-637505478989517430

4 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

11 Likes

2 or 3 likes if I could!

4 Likes

4 Likes

This has been playing quite often these days.

1 Like

I saw her and band before this was released in 75 in Baltimore,Md for a bank opening at the Rotunda Mall, not a lot of people were there. I have meet her a couple of times through Buddy Miller, she is still a very nice and pretty lady.

1 Like

Another winner by the Giz :+1:

1 Like

Been an ELH fan since those days too…saw her perform several times when I was a college student in Ohio, in the mid-late '70s and '80s, usually in outdoor summer concerts. Had a terrible crush on her and dreamed about playing guitar in The Hot Band (but how could I top James Burton??). I wore Elite Hotel out from Side A to Side B.

1 Like

7 Likes

Here another one of the wonderful Swiss baroque period ensembles, with the Sonata (Sinfonie) à cinque op.2 de Albinoni. I especially like their albums released on Zig-Zag Territoires. What a beautiful sound!

12 Likes

Andreas, is this the same performance as in this one on a different label? If so, it is outstanding.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s the same… This and several other albums were released on Zig-Zag and Alpha… Both labels are part of Outhere Music

Zig-Zag Territoires wishes to offer along with its CDs - unique objects, halfway between individual craftsmanship and industry - a genuine intellectual and aesthetic complement, through in-depth booklet notes and original artwork by the painter Anne Peultier who created more than 150 paintings. It has turned out to be an exciting adventure, enriching the experience of record-making, which becomes an artistic exchange between label, musicians, sound engineer, painter, designer. Since 2009, photography replaced fresh paintings together with Georges Garcia Morales, Jérôme Witz….

3 Likes

1 Like

The wonderful AMC, great comp of early recordings

1 Like

1 Like