What we are listening to [2021-01 to 2021-03]

Production stopped because the Monk estate sued them. Must have been resolved. Shuffles off to quickly Google…

Interesting, thanks for the read! I’m always a sucker for abbey ales and this one is no exception :smiley:

11 Likes

Big thank you to @CrystalGipsy for this one. Hard to pin down a description but sounds great on my headphones!

RoonShareImage-637523964033775390

2 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

Always enjoy a new release from this band.

RoonShareImage-637524016838620570

3 Likes

3 Likes

Oh nice @Michael_Harris - thanks for the heads up.

Hmmmm…perhaps he’s sneakily checking out this thread for some musical inspiration. Oddly enough I’ve noticed that I or somebody else has posted an album & then he’s spoken about it. Maybe just a coincidence. :thinking:

Krautrock
5 album selection (not a top 5 as likely CAN would take all those positions) & no Kraftwerk as they don’t fall under this umbrella.

Can
Tago Mago (1971)
I don’t have anything to add here that’s not been said before. It’s just a melting pot of experimentation, rock, blues, funk & jazz. The music is trance like with its energy.

…one of the best albums ever, period. (allmusic)
And perhaps not actually my fav!

CAN

Neu!
Neu! (1972)
This duo crafted 2 of the most influential albums, using repetitious rhythms later to be known as ‘Motorik’ beat, which is likely still felt today. Michael Rother refers to this idea as like water flowing in time. They created an economic style that was a response to both the society of the era and to their contemporaries that brought about unique minimalism.
NEU

Amon Düül II (not to be confused with Amon Düül)
I would likely choose Phallus Dei (1969), often cited as the 'original Krautrock album, but I don’t own a digital copy. So…
Tanz der Lemminge (1971)
Their music was built upon an idea post WWII that was meant to bring about difference and positivity from a Germany they saw that still harboured a dark past with Nazi’s living freely in German society & often wielding political power. They wanted a change from this past.

Amon

Cluster
Cluster II (1972)
The founders of ambient, experimental electronica blurring the lines of the Krautrock aesthetic. :thinking:

Later, Brian Eno came to work with them & much of their influence on Eno can be heard on David Bowie’s trilogy of Eno produced albums (Low, Heroes, Lodger).
Cluster II

Faust
Faust IV (1973)
Melody, experimentation, psychedelia, beauty & weirdness all come together on this album. One of the earliest ‘signees’ to Virgin Records, they were later dumped as they refused to toe the line. They are still making albums (&touring?) to this day.

Faust IV

Edit:
Ooops @cinematic

I never saw your Tago Mago post from 7 days ago, until this edit here as I started scrolling up to check out what’s been posted since I was last here. Sorry 'bout that…seems we’ve been listening to some old favs. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

@Nostro that is a cool list, and while I have the three Bowie albums, I have not heard any of the others, and I will check a couple of them out at least.

1 Like

I still think Year of Meteors is her best album. Perhaps that’s because it was Galaxies that was the first track I heard that got me into her music.

And like Simon @CrystalGipsy there’s something about her music that I have a ‘soft spot’ for.

1 Like

Oh…I must sometimes take it for granted… :upside_down_face:

Great to hear it’s new for you. :sunglasses: Cheers.

I would suggest CAN is essential listening, although Tago Mago isn’t such an easy listen. Perhaps a better starting place would be:
Ege Bamyasi
or
Future Days

All typically seen as 10/10 (or very high) rated albums.

Similarly, I think NEU are essentail. You could try either the album posted (usually considered their classic or NEU '75).

As per my post, I’m still currently listening to Faust IV as the last posted. Really enjoying it, again I’d be inclined to try the above as Faust as a bit more eclectic.

1 Like

4 Likes

This is excellent.

1 Like

If I look in a back cupboard well enough, I will find the tour ‘magazine’ from that concert. It’s not in storage where so much of my ‘stuff’ still lives moving to the far North. It had to travel with me. I had it signed by Tina & Jerry. What a groupie I was in high school. :rofl:

2 Likes

I found one of the two albums you suggested, and I found the other two albums from Live in Boston, now to Q all these up, Tks for the suggestion

1 Like

After a full morning of Krautrock (as per above)…to reference James Brown
Gotta make it funky now”.

Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers
Bustin’ Loose (1979)

Chuck Brown

1 Like

Review: A Mozart postscript from Rachel Podger | Presto Classical

5 Likes

3 Likes

10 Likes