1 Like

9 Likes

4 Likes

The exceptional Squeeze

The Sweeny’s doing 90 cause they got no place to go,

… like a time machine.

.sjb

12 Likes

Of late, I have been enjoying the young French organist Benjamin Alard’s historical/thematic survey of all of Bach’s keyboard and organ music on HM. To date, 4 volumes of a projected 17 have been released. These are performances on historical instruments, light on flowery improvisation, and recorded in not overly resonant acoustical spaces.

They are also imaginatively produced sets. For example, Volume 1, “The Young Heir,” surveys Bach’s earliest keyboard writing and includes pieces by composers who influenced him (Pachelbel, Froberger, Kuhnau, etc.). Further, early chorale arrangements include pairings with soprano Gerlinde Sämann singing the chorale theme.

This is a hugely enjoyable and enlightening series.

RoonShareImage-637719796867738030

7 Likes

Thank you for mentioning this; it is new for me and I certainly will listen to these albums… sounds enjoyable!

1 Like

Enjoyable album with well-played Italian Baroque pieces by diverse composers from Legrenzi to Steffani to Vivaldi to Merula… etc. Carmignola does the violin solo parts, the Sonatori de la Gioiosa Marca are one of the earlier Italian Baroque ensembles.

Pity that Roon presents us with a badly cropped cover picture; but I didn’t find anything really better online, either.

5 Likes

One of the lyrics that has earwormed into my mind over the years is “I can work the handle on any car, it’s really not that hard”.

Some unwise choices but boy the best songs on this stands up to anything.

.sjb

9 Likes

3 Likes

Just love this band and this album.
I always think of them as Bananarama on steroids :innocent:

10 Likes

A great late Rory album.

.sjb

11 Likes

They’re a band that I’d read about but not really listened to until @Simon_Arnold3 posted about them. Never looked back since then.

2 Likes

What’s not to love about some Simple Minds :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

So smooth…

3 Likes

Thank you again for pointing me towards Benjamin Alard. I have begun to explore his albums, listening to this wonderful harpsichord recital. On the linked review there’s more detailed information about the manuscript and the recorded pieces. Gorgeous!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/july09/manuscrit_Bauyn_hortus065.htm

6 Likes

Released today, this just showed up on my NRFY section in Roon. This was quick…

5 Likes

Some very nice chilled prog, somewhat reminiscent of Flamborough Head (which is no bad thing).

4 Likes

RoonShareImage-637648890930717294

11 Likes

7 Likes

8 Likes