What We Are Listening To [2021-11]

One of the great rock images

Been on a bit of a Klone bender this week it seems.

4 Likes

4 Likes

A good stream of 2022 albums coming through. This one is being released in 4 stages with the full album being released on 18th February. Tracks 1-4 available now (not yet on Roon, but available on Qobuz app).

2 Likes

Any new Billy Bragg album is worth a listen (at least for me).
This one is very laid back.

5 Likes

Now this is very chilled

4 Likes

6 Likes

That’s cool, I’m doing the rocker today and you’re chilling.

1 Like

Billy Bragg takes me back. There’s an artists I’ve not listened to since the 1980s. I played this album to death. (I’ve posted the original cover with Mr Bragg’s political affiliation clearly displayed, not the more sanitised Roon version of the cover!)

4 Likes

6 Likes

I still enjoy listening to a bit of BB every now and then.
He is far more chilled and less angry than he was in the early days.
I have that one as part of a vinyl boxset I bought, though I did not have a record player at the time when I purchased it ;-).

I see he has started to appear on Bandcamp, so hopefully he will make some of his older stuff available there as well.

1 Like

Not long ago I posted the Attacca Quartet’s Grammy-winning album with music by Caroline Shaw released in 2019 on Nonesuch, but I didn’t explore further into their discography. This I did this week, though, and I’ve come with this gorgeous rendering of Haydn’s Seven Last Words from 2015 on Azica Records… I’ve never heard these pieces played like this before, and I love it! Of all the recorded versions for string quartet this may just be the most exciting and gripping… Well done!!

I should add that last week their new album Of All Joys was released on Sony Classical, with music from Dowland to Arvo Pärt and Philip Glass. This new release is beautiful, but by no means as exciting as this Haydn album…

7 Likes

12 Likes

6 Likes

Now you don’t have to bore yourself through two hours of concert, just to enjoy the popular stuff at the end… They’ve just released the most popular string quartet encores in a beautifully played and recorded album… :rofl:

Edit: The recorded sound is incredibly gorgeous!! Those guys are sitting just in front of me… Ever more I am convinced that, apart from good speakers, the one thing that really matters is the recording, editing and mastering…

8 Likes

A new artist and composer for me.

Domenico dall’Oglio (c. 1700 – 1764) was an Italian violinist and composer.

Domenico dall’Oglio was born in Padua, Italy. He was probably a pupil of Giuseppe Tartini, either after 1721 when Tartini was appointed Maestro di Cappella at the Basilica di Sant’Antonio in Padua, or perhaps after 1726 when Tartini founded his violin school.[1]

In 1732 dall’Oglio was appointed violinist at the Basilica di Sant’Antonio, but in 1735 he left Padua to go to Russia with his brother Giuseppe, a cellist. Both brothers remained in St Petersburg for nearly 29 years in the service of the imperial court. Court records make frequent reference to Domenico’s activities as a virtuoso violinist and composer, and as a participant in the intrigues of the court. For relaxation he liked to build musical instruments – violins and lutes. He died in Narva, Estonia, on his return journey to Italy.

5 Likes

Same here… and it’s always nice to discover something new. Thank you!

Edit: Just found out that I had her three albums in my library since August… I had totally forgotten… So it’s been a really nice rediscovery…

1 Like

I never get bored of this album. Still have the vinyl, with the included stencil…honestly never spray painted it anywhere :wink:

It’s a fine album, with no filler. It’s now 43 years old and remains great :sunglasses:
PIND

5 Likes

A small dose of some classic U2 Live @ Red Rocks.

9 Likes

Journey for a moment to the corner of Germany, there is not only rocked and played the jazz, but also made the classical journey to neighboring countries.

Let times completely different women’s sounds come to your ears.