What We Are Listening To [2021-11]

Yeah, I’m a bit tardy with the Qobuz list updates. Impossibly overloaded at work is my poor excuse. I’ll do it this some time this month.

1 Like

This is also great for me…

1983 1983 Deutsche Grammophon (DG) 03:00

2 Likes

exceptional in every way

10 Likes

6 Likes

I Think Roby Lakatos (born 1965) violinist from Hungary who combines jazz, classical, and Hungarian Romani music is here welcome.

1 Brahms: Hungarian Dance No.5 in G Minor, WoO 1 No.5 (Arr. For Violin) Lakatos 03:29

1 Main Theme [Le Grand Blonde ave une chaussure noire] Attila Ronto 05:09

7 If I Were A Rich Man (From “Fiddler On The Roof”) Roby Lakatos 03:47 (for Andreas :rofl:)

2 Likes

10 Likes

The Eroica Quartet, formed in 1993 in London, is known for its thoughtful approach to the interpretation of the romantic string quartet repertoire, using both period instruments and careful investigated playing techniques. Their recording of the three Schumann Quartets on Harmonia Mundi is well-known and very much appreciated.

This album from 2002 is their first release on Resonus, with a splendid interpretion of Mendelssohn’s
wonderful Octet. On the Resonus website we find the following information:

In their first release for the Resonus Classics label, the Eroica Quartet and Friends perform the world premiere recording of the original 1825 version of Mendelssohn’s Octet, Op. 20.
Mendelssohn wrote the Octet in 1825 when he was just 16 years old and subsequently revised the score in 1832 for publication. This recording uses the original 1825 manuscript that is currently held in the US Library of Congress in Washington D.C., and which has now been put together for publication in a new edition.
Played on period instruments and with fingerings and bowings specific to the time, the legacy and influence Mendelssohn gained from his teacher Beethoven, is clear. This edition is immensely expressive and more indulgent than the revisions penned by the more mature, older man that he was seven years later.

6 Likes

11 Likes

This I believe is the fantastic first release by the French Romain Leleu Sextet. It’s really a string quintet with solo trumpet. The arrangements are very well done, the playing is superb. This is one of the few really enjoyable classical crossover albums…

7 Likes

2 CD set.

7 Likes

So nice, they named it twice.
It had to get a listen.
22 min EP.
RoonShareImage-637722230834894249

2 Likes

Remastered release 2021

14 Likes

This album was a recommendation by @miklats, which I heartily endorse. Arias from Handel bookended by two of J.S. Bach’s cantatas; BWV 199 (“Mein Herze schwimmit im Blut”) and BWV 51 (“Jauchzet Gott in Allen Landedn”). Light and delicate at the top end and with judicious use of vibrato, soprano Sabine Devieilhe delivers on the broad range of raw emotions in BWV 199, one of Bach’s most glorious vocal compositions. Another highlight is the duet with baritone Stéphane Degout in a brief selection from Handel’s Brockes Passion.

RoonShareImage-637722276156959070

9 Likes

King Crimson time…

7 Likes

One of my great discoveries from this Community. Stunning album.

6 Likes

4 Likes

totally agree - I came across this one here as well - certainly on the short list of top Roon Community discoveries for me too…

3 Likes

12 Likes

I like this series. Plenty of interesting compositions.

6 Likes

I agree, this is a good series, and it is nicely recorded, too. Only recently Vol.7 was released, with music recorded in 2013!

1 Like