What We Are Listening To [2021-11]

4 Likes

Relaxing day today. Had this on a loop this afternoon.

1 Like

Great new album from Bowerbirds-years ago (maybe 2015/16?) I funded them on Kickstarter towards building a studio in the woods to record an new album, and received a magical amulet made by Beth Tacular, vocalist/accordion player as my reward. :joy:
They didn’t release an album until just now, and I have no idea if they actually built the studio! :rofl::joy:

2 Likes

RoonShareImage-637727575198339592

2 Likes

I heard this the other day, and the lyrics really caught my ear, witty, and funny I thought.
I just discovered via Roon who this actually was, and a bit more of his story. The song is actually really sad. Witty, and funny-but also heartbreaking.
I love the way I can so easily find out the stories behind the work I discover via Roon (even if it sends me in a quick visit to Wikipedia for the details).

3 Likes

Interesting!! I have these six concertos ‘La Cetra’ (scored for two solo oboes) in a version by Camerata Bern with Heinz Holliger as one of the two oboists. Holliger probably was one of the most celebrated oboists of the second half of the 20th century. I have this album as local files, but it is available on Tidal and I assume on Qobuz, too.

3 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/BlPpGjG.png

Progressive rock of the Canturbury school is heard echoing off the fjords of Norway. Needlepoint is a truly unique band centred around multi-instrumentalist Bjørn Klakegg, featuring members of Elephant9, Møster! and Bigbang. Fans of Soft Machine, ELP, and Camel will feel at home in this warm throwback to the heyday of experimental rock music.” [label hype]

2 Likes

RoonShareImage-637727692392554167

6 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/wUhgLGE.png

" Holly Macve’s dreamy music is almost impossible to categorize. She could fit neatly next to Lana Del Rey, with her low rasp and languid pacing. But that rasp can also twist and twang like Patsy Cline or Gillian Welch. And there’s no way not to draw comparisons to the gauzy, '90s psych-drone stylings of Mazzy Star. On Not the Girl, the follow-up to her critically respected 2017 debut Golden Eagle, the young Irish singer-songwriter explores more expansive—and darker—territory, but that darkness is often shot through with rays of sunlight." ~Shelly Ridenour [Qobuz]

5 Likes

6 Likes

Thursday commute.

7 Likes

Wonderful album. Check out his earlier work with Silver Jews.

1 Like

New single from Cate le Bon, taken from her forthcoming album (4th Feb 2022). This shows her continuing evolution away from the angular guitar sound of her earlier work to a much fuller, synth-laden sound. The two tracks here suggest that the new album is going to be a keeper!

3 Likes

Thanks! Yes, such a poignant album lyrically too, especially given what happened.
Silver Jews are definitely on my list. I’m a Pavement fan too, and understand they weren’t a Pavement side-project :grinning:

1 Like

Two tracks by Cate le Bon is never enough. This album was the obvious choice for “Add next”!

5 Likes

Saw Soen live last night. Great live band.

The new album is a little too soft and clean for my teaste and not very prog compared to the older stuff but live it worked and was played way harder.

6 Likes

Water lily recordings are very quiet so a good candidate for volume levelling

9 Likes

There is little music more euphoric and uplifting than the beginning of Mendelssohn’s Octet… If you feel blue, this is the antidote…

At the time of this recording (2008), the more experienced musicians of the Alexander Quartet were coaching the still very young members of the Afiara Quartet…

6 Likes

3 Likes

My starting point was here…