What We Are Listening To [2022-06]

6 Likes

6 Likes

9 Likes

It’s a new month & so we need to remind ourselves that allmusic is not to be taken as gospel. Allmusic = caveat emptor.

Sandy Denny
The North Star Grassman and the Ravens (1971)

3.5 allmusic stars
And reading the review it seems that’s a generous rating( ■■■■■■ it’s Sandy Denny how low can we rate her). My take is that it has stood the test of time with hints of mystery from her ‘folkish’ past and some cracker, albeit understated (as is his style) guitar work from Richard Thompson. Aside for some patchiness that’s a solid 4-4.5 stars.

Sandy Denny

Sandy (1972)

4.5 allmusic stars
Much more ‘basic’ in terms of it being more like a standard rock album. Sure that’s appealing to some, but it doesn’t have that special something that the previous album possesses. I feel the word ‘accessibility’ as per the review sums this up. Yup, it’s a tad bland, not that accessibility need mean that at all.

Sandy

13 Likes

Amen to that! :smiley:

2 Likes

10 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

Back home to find the rcd for the kitchen tripped and the fridge and freezer have been off for 5 days. So no food could be saved and a rather stinky house. Oh well at least the sun’s out and it’s a hell of lot warrmer down here as I am sat out and not shivering unlike the NW. Beer on the go and this in the garden

5 Likes

A like for the album, not for the fridge/freezer!

2 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

Abraxas in DSD sounds absolutely fantastic.

2 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

Most of my friends in college laughed when I predicted these guys would be BIG! :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

1 Like

This is not Sir Elton’s best album. It does include what I think is one of his best songs however, the hauntingly memorable Ticking.

5 Likes

It’s an interesting question whether they ever really were “big.” Extremely influential, to be sure, but what was their “hit” output? I think they peaked at like number 10 on the US charts with Burning Down the House and I am not sure, but I think there was only one million selling album in there, Little Creatures.

If anything, I think they were a mega hit for an alternative music band and only moderately sized as a rock group in popular music. Might I say, I think unjustifiably, as they released several excellent albums, are widely sited as influential to a lot of later artists, and were later enshrined in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, for whatever that is worth!