What We Are Listening To [2022-10]

We did indeed and I enjoyed, an aging Kirk Brandon in support as well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One of my all time favorite PMG recordings - saw them on that tour in an outdoor venue on the water, freighters moving slowly by in the background on a warm summer night. It was a perfect coming together of time and place, with his band and music as the glue! I have the cassette as well, but mine is oos - old old stock! Enjoy!

1 Like

Downloaded it last night, this is my first listen all the way through. Vinyl’s on the way! Excellent recording and excellent musicianship from Michael and crew, as always!

3 Likes

Tidal: The Cult of Ray by Frank Black
Spotify: The Cult of Ray by Frank Black

.sjb

6 Likes

7 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

6 Likes

6 Likes

14 Likes

Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding The Flame

2 Likes

RoonShareImage-638002504603683560

RoonShareImage-638002504498841400

RoonShareImage-638002504393564370

8 Likes

After the terrific 2017 Alehouse Sessions, now the follow-up… the 2022 Playhouse sessions… Rather than trying to describe what this is about, I’ll copy the blurb from the Rubicon label’s web:

Since the release of the chart topping Alehouse Sessions in 2017, and a world wide tour, Bjarte and the boys and girls have been busy on this new album which moves the alehouse project on from dour Puritanism of Cromwell’s Commonwealth, to the hedonistic Restoration of Charles II, and the Glorious Revolution that saw William III and Mary II replace the unpopular James II. The alehouse musical culture developed into playhouses, and music halls, selling tickets and subscriptions. Operas, masques, dance, jesting (the first stand-up comedians maybe?) , all this prepared the way for the first public concert hall to be established. Nights in these places though would still be bawdy – stage fights, cross dressing, elements of pantomime, songs sung to popular tunes of the day, satire – always a good draw, and a good number of rustic clowns, bawdy wenches and fools thrown in for good measure!
Think of these back rooms as a very English mix of Shakespeare, commedia dell arte, juggling with music by Purcell, folk tunes, and sea shanties. After the misery of the Commonwealth and Cromwell’s dictatorship, the public were in the
mood to party! Playhouse is your invitation to the party – enjoy!

6 Likes

1 Like

I’ve been traveling lately and don’t remember if this has already been posted…

This isn’t really a ‘classical’ album, nor is it ‘classical crossover’. This young South African cellist has released something completely his own… and it is vastly entertaining. The album has been very well received by the international press, and you really should have a listen… The first track, Ibuyile l’Africa, is hauntingly beautiful…

7 Likes

Charles I am expecting Strange Times next. Soul in Isolation is my favourite track by the band, hugely self indulgent but just so good.

3 Likes

Missed this one, thanks Daniel.