What We Are Listening To [2022-11]

6 Likes

RoonShareImage-638040433979665010

6 Likes

RoonShareImage-638040447310780470

5 Likes

Oh gosh, it sounds so good… While most stuff was really compressed in this era, the early singles are great because the vocals and guitars are compressed, but the bass is not, so the compression floats on top as an aesthetic choice making it wispy and ethereal.

12 Likes

7 Likes

Ok, I bit … so to speak. :wink:

Very interesting observation. Based on this, I would think one of the following tracks, which has over 4x the DR as some of the others, would not sound nearly as pleasing to you. So which one is it do you think? No cheating by looking at the file info in Roon.

killing an arab
boys don’t cry
let’s go to bed
the lovecats
in between days
close to me

Roon says the CD has an overall average DR of 5. My rip is of this version. The track I’m talking about has a DR of 2x the CD average.

I must admit that this thread has gotten me intrigued about what people hear and the various explanations for why they do. I hear a clear difference between the one track with the much higher DR vs. the others, so I’m trying to see if I can appreciate what you’re getting at, especially with these perhaps not so highly-resolving 8 year old Sonos speakers and antiquated ears.

So the first track on the album was the one I was talking about, and I personally don’t love boys don’t cry and lovecats of all those songs. They sound like they have lower dynamic range as far as I can tell (not sure how to find it in Roon without playing) but its not so much the mix as the songs (I think) I don’t like. But maybe it’s the mix. What’s the answer to the quiz?

killing an arab 10.3
boys don’t cry 2.5
let’s go to bed 3.9
the lovecats 4.2
in between days 3.4
close to me 3.1

1 Like

8 Likes

RoonShareImage-638040553296444290

3 Likes

RoonShareImage-638040556812181600

3 Likes

10 Likes

2 Likes

9 Likes

Oh to have been in Parr Hall that day.

4 Likes

RoonShareImage-638040548761565920

1 Like

https://i.imgur.com/didfEgd.png

Oh to have been in Heaton Park that night:

10 Likes

Agree. The live tracks are just amazing. The band were absolutely on it that night

1 Like

1 Like

Heard this in the new BBC show The English so it needed an outing.

14 Likes