What We Are Listening To [2022-11]

7 Likes

2 Likes

Hey @Charles_Tidwell, love your profile pic!

Being a 50+ year fan of the Allman Brothers, here’s some info on their connection to this classic album. From Wikipedia:

The first few days of the Layla sessions were unproductive.[49][59] On 26 August, Dowd, who was also producing the Allman Brothers Band’s album Idlewild South, took the Dominos to an Allman Brothers concert, where Clapton, already a fan of the Nashville-born guitarist, first heard Duane Allman play in person.[59][60] After Clapton invited the whole band back to Criteria that night,[61] he and Allman formed an instant bond that provided the catalyst for the Layla album.[62][63] Over ten recording dates,[49][64] Allman contributed to most of the tracks on the album,[15] in between his commitments to the Allman Brothers Band. Only three songs – “I Looked Away”, “Bell Bottom Blues” and “Keep on Growing” – were recorded without his participation. The band remade “Tell the Truth” during the sessions and subsequently attempted to have the Spector-produced single cancelled.[65] In the United States, Atco Records released the original version of “Tell the Truth” backed with “Roll It Over” in September, but soon withdrew the single.[61]

Clapton has described Allman as “the musical brother that I never had, but wished I did”.[63] Allman’s slide guitar playing elevated the album’s blues covers,[15] which included “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out” (by Jimmy Cox), “Have You Ever Loved a Woman” (the Billy Myles song, originally recorded by Freddie King) and “Key to the Highway” (Big Bill Broonzy).[60][66] Clapton invited him to become a member of Derek and the Dominos,[15] but Allman demurred, choosing to remain loyal to his own band.[14][63] According to Whitlock, however, Allman was “a hired gun” and an “unnecessary” addition; Whitlock added, “He played with us twice, and it was not good both times he played, because he was not a fluid player … He could play parts, but he couldn’t sing with his guitar.”[16] The jams from Allman’s first night at Criteria with the Dominos were issued on the second CD of The Layla Sessions: 20th Anniversary Edition in 1990.[67]

Bobby Whitlock apparently wasn’t very impressed with Skydog was he? Jealousy perhaps??

Cheers!

2 Likes

5 Likes

11 Likes

RoonShareImage-638048924803959607

9 Likes

8 Likes

I have to say I only recently discovered this gem. Great album!

15 Likes

Are you having a little Coltrane phase? :grinning: great stuff.

4 Likes

New live album tomorrow.

4 Likes

RoonShareImage-638049311378739400

4 Likes

3 Likes

Love all things Karol. Still one of my favorite releases of this year.

5 Likes

12 Likes

Thanks Henri for the reminder I had forgotten about that.
I will collect my copy in the morning :+1:

1 Like

RoonShareImage-638049316227306300

1 Like

A beautiful, atmospheric choral piece featuring select members of the National Youth Choir of Great Britain (Laudibus):

RoonShareImage-638049213870223120

5 Likes

4 Likes

Forgot to turn the volume down from listening to that choral music before this started. :rofl:

:+1:

Me likey!

Welcome back Fiji man.

1 Like

Haha! That’s quite the difference!
I have to be in the mood for this type of growly vocals but this afternoon it’s hitting the spot.

1 Like