8 Likes

RoonShareImage-638104336766943800

7 Likes

2 Likes

Great album loved the doc on him to.

1 Like

RoonShareImage-638108370747216500

16 Likes

This is an interesting release from last November… No, this is not an old re-released analogue recording. All has been recorded in September 2021 at the Abbey Road Studios, using vintage analogue equipment. To experience this ‘warm’ analogue sound on a new album, recorded, edited and mastered to high standards, is an interesting treat, although one may argue a gimmicky one. The wonderful singing sound of Elschenbroich’s cello must be experienced.

From the booklet, text by Elschenbroich:

On a September day last year, Alexei and I sat in the Vinyl Cutting Room of Abbey Road Studios as a 1/2 inch tape of our recording of the Brahms E minor Sonata played on a desk-size reel-to-reel player. It fed the imprint of the vibrations that our instruments had made – some doors down, three months earlier – to a needle, which engraved the vibrations onto an acetate disc, picked up by a stylus two inches behind it, passing them to a pair of speakers, which passed them through the air to our eardrums. At no point of the process was the wave translated into digits, into ones and zeroes. This was the first time since planning the Brahms Analogue recording – three years earlier – that we heard the sound we had only speculated. ‘Black Magic’, the vinyl mastering engineer said, stepping back in awe. He, too, had not heard that sound since digital recordings had entirely replaced analogue. It was as if we were doubled in the room, playing and listening to ourselves play, for the first time in our lives. It was eerie and moving. How did we get here?

The interpretation of the two Brahms sonatas is also quite special. I listened to this for the first time late last night, all quiet around me, lights off, very much relaxed, and I felt enthralled. And how beautiful the arrangement for cello and piano of Brahms’s Four Serious Songs… the cello sings with a timbre and fullness of voice no human ever could…

13 Likes

3 Likes

I have spent a full week tagging, cleaning and caring for my long abused digital collection. Here is one it says I recently added. :slight_smile: So it gets a listen.

30 Likes

9 Likes

First I’m of my Nick Cave orders arrived today.

14 Likes

alltime fav…

12 Likes

10 Likes

19 Likes

10 Likes

RoonShareImage-638108838056364290

1 Like

“With “A Fleeting Glimpse”, Bjørn Riis has let his inspiration from Pink Floyd really come forth. Here he offers four new songs just under 30 minutes, where you can really cherry pick the Pink Floyd references throughout the listen. Riis even got Durga McBroom, one of Pink Floyd’s backup singers during the 80s and 90s, to do guest vocals on one of the tracks.”

4 Likes

1 Like