3 Likes

6 Likes

6 Likes

14 Likes

8 Likes

5 Likes

9 Likes

12 Likes

The recorder is not one of my preferred instruments, which may have to do with the unforgotten cacophony produced by compulsory recorder instruction in primary school. But when played with the mastery of David Antich on this album from last June, it’s a real joy. The Händel sonatas from the 1720s are, together with Telemann’s Fantasias, pillars of the Baroque repertoire for recorder, and this might probably be one of the best recorded interpretations on the market. The accompanying continuo group’s playing is equally well-judged and varied, with harpsichord/organ, lute and cello as chosen instruments.

There’s another very good alternative recording on Linn (2004), with Pamela Thorby from Palladian Ensemble fame, accompanied by Richard Egarr on harpsichord or chamber organ. I slightly prefer the newer recording from Spain, though, both for the artistry of Antich’s playing and the beauty of the recorded sound which seems more transparent and direct.

12 Likes

Haha, same here Andres, very recognizable! :joy: Luckily, I also overcame my trauma and now occasionally enjoy the recorder. These are nice recordings with the recorder/flute I enjoy listening to.

RoonShareImage-638109504624110530

RoonShareImage-638109504919734590

6 Likes

I have to laugh, I saw the recorders and cringed. Then I looked at the quality of what you all have presented in the past and my naïve views at times and added it to the queue.

3 Likes

1 Like

17 Likes

18 Likes

RoonShareImage-638109635316043760

9 Likes

I was listening to Nightmares on Wax but apparently that’s “bloody awful” so a more partner friendly mix is now on

4 Likes

1 Like