What we are listening to [2023-09]

4 Likes

IMG_1481

2 Likes

I would love to own one of those original 1983 LPs; I would even be willing to buy a turntable just to play that record; the graphic design is awesome. And I gather there is a re-release of the vinyl (& packaging)

Yeah, me too. Peter Saville Is in a class of his own. There must be a vinyl rerelease, don’t know for sure (I only have the digital version).

1 Like

Sitting on my deck finishing up the work day before a long weekend, I spun up one of my favorite bar bands. I must have seen them a dozen times in and around Monterey/Pacific Grove in the early '80s. They only had a hit or two but my gosh were they a good bar band. I know I danced and danced and danced to these guys.

1 Like

I love the heck out of this.

51yrM9KwoaL.SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp

2 Likes

Mogwai
As The Love Continues (2021)

Sometimes excellent albums get overlooked due to the high quality & perhaps familiarity of earlier albums. Case in point for me here & perhaps one of the best tracks of the ‘alternate’ kind "Ritchie Sacramento’ that sounds like it comes from the late 90’s/early 2000’s, but is recent. And it’s a foray away from what I still term as post rock into alternative rock with some great distant styled vocals. It’s on repeat!
(Actually, I find it a good headphone track - big sound/soundstage, scintillating wall of sound guitars, Stuart Braithwaite vocals seemingly centre of the drums either side.)

Ritchie

Signal Hill
More After We’re Gone (2009)
Post rock/instrumental rock

The only release I have of this band & I don’t know much about them. I assume at the time I was devouring anything ‘new’ post rock. Nothing new here, which isn’t to degrade the album. In fact that’s likely a positive critique as it’s musical & does not bend the boundaries with any noise, albeit the typical quiet & crescendo formula exists. Worth a shot if you like this kind of instrumental music & found on streaming platforms.

Signal Hill

5 Likes

The Marshall brothers…

Arguably one of the great Aussie ‘rock’ albums, that spawned an entire generation of influential players to this day.

Harem Scarem (Christopher Marshall vocals/Charlie Marshall guitar/Barry Palmer guitar/Chris Wilson harmonica and others)
Pilgrim’s Progress (1986)
Harem Scarem

Chris Wilson
Gnawing On The Bones of Elvis (1987)
Luminary harmonica player (multi-instrumentalist) RIP who had a solid career, that never gave up his English teaching job in high schools in Melbourne. On that note I used to go to University with Charlie who was at the time completing his PhD. Further, aside from seeing Chris/Crown of Thorns (his earlier band) many times, I caught him playing a ‘surprise’ gig with Mick Jagger solo in a small pub. It wad there my GF got punched in the nose by a crazed Mick Jagger fangirl who was ■■■■■■ off she wouldn’t move.

Chris Wilson

After the demise of Harem Scarem, as Christopher wanted to finish his Uni studies, Charlie was quick to form The Body Electric. This was a time when I saw them on a regular basis & was mates with Warren hanging out around inner Melbourne and going on camping trips in the bush.
Charlie Marshall & The Body Electric (1994)
Warren Ellis, Jim White (Dirty Three/Bad Seeds etc), Brian Hooper (Beasts of Bourbon etc)

Body Electric

Charlie Marshall and the Body Electric
Story of Us (2001)
(Including the amazing guitar of Cam Butler)
A sublime album including a chamber quartet - beautiful.

Charlie Marshall
Making my way to you (live 2001)

The Christopher Marshall Predestination
Tears of the Minotaur (2022)
Comeback album post 1998’s Strange Water’s, Small Mercies.

Christopher Marshall

Dead of Night (Live 2022)
With Charlie Marshall.

I should include some Cam Butler here also, but this post is long enough already. He’s just released a new album Strings Music, albeit it’s sort of a compilation & of course he’s the guitarist on the amazing Ron S. Peno albums.

3 Likes

RoonShareImage-638292539630174150

7 Likes

RoonShareImage-638292553332980620

8 Likes

Richie Sacramento is an incredible track, great choice. The album itself does suffer from being overshadowed by they likes of Young Team or Hardcore… but it’s still a superb collection

1 Like

Another brilliant suggestion from @Andreas_Philipp1 on the classical blog.

RoonShareImage-638292464158360870

5 Likes

RoonShareImage-638292494493724130

3 Likes

5 Likes

2 Likes

Another top Boz album.

RoonShareImage-638292611845625260

5 Likes

RoonShareImage-638292637864071040

RoonShareImage-638292945367877400

8 Likes

Ron S. Peno (RIP 11/8/23)
Future Universe (2011)
Cam Butler guitar
Ron’s first solo release following a long hiatus being the front man in the legendary Died Pretty (mid 80’s-early 200’s) They had ‘reformed’ to play live shows in recent years. Ron was in a various bands prior.
Ron Peno

Ron S. Peno & Cam Butler
I Wish (Live Melbourne 14 September 2018)
Perhaps not your typical performance without the band, intimate nonethless.

Cam Butler
Find Your Love (2017)

Cam has been making instrumental music since the early 2000’s with his then band Silver Ray. He continues to make music under his own name the most recent release being Strings Music released last month. Highly regarded for his distinctive guitar style/tone, typically tastefully understated using his Gibson LP w/Bigsby, running into a fairly clean Fender Twin (if I’m not mistaken).

Find Your Love

Find Your Love

1 Like