What's The Deal With Roon?

No thank you.

Because there is no way to do it! I have been searching this forum and the rest of the internet, were people have asked the same thing that Im asking…and the answer is always that it can’t be done with roon.

No, Roon is not an “on the go” music system and no, you cannot run Roon core on a Node 2i streaming device. Again, I don’t think Roon is for you, so why are you here?

6 Likes

The thing that bugs me the most is that I cant ad songs to my Tidal playlists. That is a dealbreaker! I dont want to be using roon, and find songs that I like…and then having to open Tidal…search for the song and then ad it there.

If there is away round this, please tell me.

I don’t use playlist, I only link to full albums and play complete albums. I add them in Roon, Tidal, or Qobuz. If you’re serious about learning about Roon, maybe someone here will help you.

PS: When on the go, I use the Tidal and Qobuz apps to stream directly from them. I don’t have any music files of my own that I need access to.

You need to read up the knowledge base as I have said before. All of what Roon is and is not is there.
Also you will find information on the architecture of Roon and what you need to run it. The core or engine if you like.
This simple act would have saved all the debate and miss understanding here as we would all be talking from the same base of knowledge.

If all you want to do is play Tidal, use Tidal or BluOS.

To answer your last question - it’s on the VERY FIRST SCREEN in settings:

Settings
General
Show format information on albums

Yes, but its only on albums, not individual songs. If I have a playlist with a couple of hundreds songs, there is no way to tell, before you actually play the song.

I have been comparing some artists and albums metadata, between Tidal and roon. And all the text are exactly the same. I thought roon had its own metadata, and that it was suppose to be superior in som way?

Actually, you can add songs to your Tidal playlists. The way you do it is through the Tidal app, just the way you’ve been doing all along. After you’ve added a song to the Tidal playlist in the Tidal app, it will appear in that same playlist while you’re using Roon.

Roon uses the metadata from the suppliers and builds on it.

I have just notised something else. My Macbook Pro seems to run very hot when using roon, so I checked my Activity Monitor, and roon is using over 1GB of memory, and 25-30% of the processor, while Tidal is using about 250mb of memory and only 7-10% of the processor. Its 4 times as much…why is that? :-/

THAT option is for albums only, which is the only way I listen to music :wink:

BUT you can also click on the “three dots” icon for any track and choose "View File Info … " to reveal the same information for individual tracks, if you like.

Yes I know, and that just the problem, it’s a pain in the but. If I want to use roon when I am home…and Im finding new music that I like…I then have to open my Tidal app and search for the song there, and add it…instead of just being able to add it in roon.

You like new music? You don’t even know who Pink Floyd are…??

4 Likes

Eh what?

Im finding new music that I like all the time! MUSIC! Why do I have to have knowledge about the people who have created the music…their names, where they live, what year it was recorded and so on!

[Moderated]

And I love Pink Floyd! Great music! What more do I need to know!

Mods have removed a string of replies solely dealing with discussing other users.

Please stay on topic guys. Feel free to voice any opinion you wish about Roon, but refrain from commenting on other users.

If there’s more of this, we may have to lock this one up for a few days.

4 Likes

I first opted for Roon because TIDAL unlike Spotify could not be controlled from an App, but it can if linked to Roon.

Roon radio has gotten much better, but I still miss Spotify’s ability to suggest new music on demand.

TIDAL suggestions imo are not nearly as well organised or advanced as Spotify and here Roon radio does not really help.