What's the highest frequency you can reliably hear?

No idea, I didn’t see any options to set or change sort order.

Surprising how few forum members have voted. I guess it’s confronting knowing your hearing isn’t what you thought it was and then having to question audiophile traps like cables and usb transports.

If you watch Hans Beekhuzen’s video on the subject you will learn that the drop in frequency sensitivity is nowhere near as harmful to your listening pleasure as you may think.
It’s all to do with how we perceive sound and Logrithmic scales.
Below is a link. Chris

Here

Thanks for the link. Good old Hans. Interesting video.
I think I mentioned above but I was hoping my hearing test would show my full hearing range, but they ignored above 8K - I see now Hans explains this in detail. I may also get checked out for a level of ‘hyperacusis’ having watched that video. I wonder if this can come in mild forms, I’ve often felt I’m very sensitive especially at higher frequencies, yet never heard this phenomenon mentioned before.

Going a bit (more) off-topic, but while watching, I caught the icon for a related youtube video suggestion on the right hand side titled ‘Deaf People Hearing Sound For The First Time Compilation 2016’. I couldn’t resist. I only watched the first one but it practically bought tears to my eyes. Makes you feel very grateful for hearing (reduced to 14K or otherwise) and amazed that the technology is available to do this for people without.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT9rvPyzxFs

1 Like

13K (easily) - 14K (just) - I’m 54.

16K (age 56)

17K, age 34.

16k, age 54.

I have just put in my vote. I cannot hear 13kHz, but can easily hear 12kHz. On a similar frequency sweep test, (in the age-related hearing loss thread) I could not hear the tone above 12,600Hz. I am 61 years old.

Sounds about right to me, you can still differentiate timing information though which is much more important as I understand it.

12K - 66 yrs. (probably due, in part, to a youth spent as a bouncer in various rock n’ roll bars)

I know this is a self-selected population, in that only the older care to check their hearing, but has anyone noticed the surplus of oldsters that have posted here. Hopefully not indicative of Roon’s general population.

Still I offer the following paraphrased quotes -

Copper Online Mag - “by the time one can afford high end equipment, one is too old to appreciate it.”
Harley-Davidson executive worrying about future sales because - “there are only so many fat, white guys with beards”.

:sunglasses:

Luckily there is so much more to enjoying music than frequency one can detect.
It’s all about timing…

1 Like

16K (age 40)
18K (with 12-18 dB boost)