When can we expect a stable release on macOS Catalina?

Apple is NEVER to blame. That is heresy!
How dare you… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Mine works.

Coming to this thread late. I’m running Catalina and listening to Roon at the moment. What is the problem?

Hi Ron: Three questions: Are you using the latest update of Catalina (I think it came out today)? Are you using a Catalina-installed MAC as your Roon Core? Is your music stored on external hard drives?

I’m not on the Roon staff, just a curious user.

Latest Catalina
Music on hard drive
Crucially…running ROCK on NUC so no core on Catalina.
Had I given it a moment’s thought I wouldn’t have commented.
Oops!

As a long time mac user this is so very true

A solution (at least temporary) is available if you are now or could store your music (or a portion of) on your main drive. See my posts here.macOS Catalina broke Roon - how does this happen?

Do media keys work for you? E.g. play / pause / previous / next …?

1 Like

No, media keys no longer work for me either.

Hmm professional software like DJ software, music production software used in studios?

Guess what [moderated] … that’s all still broken too, except the professionals know not to take an update until things are ironed out.

Things have worked this way for years.
[Moderated]

Best of luck

Apple broke XML entirely, this is how much of the software in this category communicates. There is also not much (from Apple) in the way of api’s to get all this stuff communicating ie. working. Everyone is working on it, it is what it is.

This was aimed at Elling_Jacobsen’s comment

Looks like they are working on it and it should be very soon. https://www.besttechie.com/apple-macos-catalina-breaking-so-many-apps/

1 Like

I just updated my Mac to Mojave last week…

1 Like

XML file works now

Again, I repeat myself after the OP - So when can we expect a stable release on macOS Catalina?

2 Likes

This whole situation is completely preposterous. Catalina developer previews have been available for a long time. We pay good money for this software. Why is Roon asleep at the wheel and mailing it in here? This is completely reprehensible and unacceptable.

1 Like

I think all the folks complaining about things not working with a new OS update need to do what everyone else with niche (and not so niche) software products does. Either wait until the OS has ironed out the glitches (and there are plenty this time around), or if you just couldn’t wait and have been burned already, go back to a previous OS and get on with it.
I think it is likely that the folks at Roon are doing what they can to get things working as soon as they can. If it does it for you, imagine they are sitting back bathing in the money you paid, but really, we all just have to be patient.

1 Like

Though I understand the advice, I don’t believe this is fair to all users. Apple is actively marketing (pushing) upgrading to users. At the same time I do not recall seeing any warning from Roon (or Apple) that upgrading might break functionality and to wait with installation (to give Roon credit: neither have I seen warnings from Adobe or the likes).
So, while I understand that it may take some time to fix the problems, software companies should actively communicate to their users to wait with an upgrade of MacOS. Not just in user forums, not just via email (though better), but even better with messages in the Roon app itself.

(Note: if Roon has indeed sent such messages, I stand corrected…)

2 Likes

Hi @Mark_N,

I have much sympathy for this point. It’s reasonable. It would still not catch every single scenario where incompatibilities are only caught ‘out in the field’; but if users also took reasonable backup and roll-back precautions the happiness index would soar all around.

Much of the outrage on related threads in this forum, not in your post, seems over the top IMHO. It could just as well be directed at Apple or - perhaps more fruitfully - whoever does the maintenance and upgrading of the MacOS systems the affected software runs on.

I am confident that Roon is addressing this with urgency behind the scenes, but wants to get it right and not create false expectations. Meanwhile I stick with Mojave.

1 Like