When will KEF LS50 Wireless II be Roon Ready? [They are now!]

Understood, since the inter speaker is limited to 192 Khz, the signal will be limited to 192 Khz.

@Ben_Hagens When is the launch expected in the US? A ballpark date will be very helpful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I found this KEF document on the new range ( https://us.kef.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/ls50/20-KEF-LS50-Collection-WhitePapers.pdf ) that says on page 19 under streaming options ā€œROON Ready (via future firmware update)ā€.

Roon emphasises that for all Roon Ready devices Roon vets the implementation itself to test it is up to standard so I think it would be pretty reasonable to assume from the reference in the KEF document that KEF has committed resources to implement and support RAAT and whatever else is necessary for Roon Ready certification but has not yet completed the certification process necessary to get the official Roon stamp of approval.

Hopefully there will be no snags and/or change of direction from KEF and this is simply a timing issue but I agree with your general point. I certainly will be holding off upgrading my LS50w Mk1s until the Roon Ready certification is officially awarded and the required firmware update available for download.

1 Like

Probably best to check with your local dealer - theyā€™ll be able to get much more up to date info from their local KEF rep than I would be able to. Seems most markets should be getting sometime in October, but thatā€™s the extent of my knowledge Iā€™m afraid.

1 Like

This is exactly my experience.
Even with VERY strong 2.4gHz there is no reliable service possible :roll_eyes:

Please understand that any real-world ship date is immaterial until Roon Ready certification has actually been obtained. Way too many (well meaning) brands have announced Roon Ready ā€œcoming soonā€ and never delivered, some even after more than a year.

While I believe you genuinely are going for Roon Ready certification, without it your product is still vaporwareā€¦

2 Likes

Which is why we havenā€™t given a real world ship date for Roon Ready certification for LS50W2. The post youā€™re referring to is about physical product landing. Although looking back at the post I had replied to, maybe I had misread.

And my point is, physical ship is meaningless if it doesnā€™t ship Roon Ready. Until it is certified, most Roon users will consider it vaporware. Too many vendors have abused this claim in the pastā€¦

Again, I am excited about your new product. But no way will I order it before certification is confirmed.

1 Like

And has been previously stated, the sentiment is understood, and there are two other, inbuilt ways to get LS50W2 into Roon in the meantime for those who choose to do so.

1 Like

See, I wouldnā€™t recommend suggesting this. It just makes you sound defensive about not having Roon Ready certification, and makes it sounds like certification is a LONG way off coming. Airplay2 and Chromecast are not viable solutions as they do not support grouping with other RAAT endpoints.

Not being defensive at all. Itā€™s just stating that there are additional ways to use it in Roon, nothing more, nothing less. Plus I have been open about not knowing how far down the line we are, although I do know weā€™re working hard with Roon, just like we did to get the first generation Roon Tested. This is important to us (which I personally like to see, as Iā€™m a big fan of Roon - absolutely one of the best bits of HiFi kit Iā€™ve ever used).

Do appreciate your excitement, donā€™t get me wrong - please donā€™t read any of my posts as being snarky (the joy of text over the internet with no tone - Iā€™m not taking any of your posts as such either). The product as a whole is really a great step forwards.

7 Likes

Itā€™s not a master anymore. Theyā€™ve renamed it to ā€œPrimaryā€ :slight_smile:

Been waiting for this step forward, bravo kef. Am using a Mac mini as a Roon Core so the elimination of USB input then requires wireless or using the optical input, correct?

Or Ethernet, thatā€™s the way I do it. You can eliminate the USB cable and not worry about having a computer near your speakers (depending on your setup).

1 Like

Hadnā€™t considered that, thanks Shawn.
It could simplify things big-time.

Hello folks,

Received my KEF LS50 Wireless II today (silver). They are gorgeous! Stands still on back order.

Took all of 30 seconds to setup and connect to Roon via airplay (Roon cert not ready yet). Mac Mini is Roon core.

I had been happily using KEF LSX. That said, sound of the Wireless II is jaw dropping! Depth, spaciousness, color, warmth. New dedicated KEF app a huge improvement. Time to ditch the Sonos and move the LSX to the bedroom. Cheers!

5 Likes

I just setup my Wireless II system today. I understand that it is Roon Not Ready but it connected to my network via wi-fi and brought up all my options for subscription services and is streaming now from Qobuz and Tidal. However I do not see an option to connect to the NAS on my local network. I realize that there may be only two of us here that have the Wireless 2 in out homesā€¦so I am asking the other one (Robert) if you know what may be going on. BTW, they sound great streaming Hi Res from Qobuz over wi-fi. I can hear a definite improvement in clarity over the original Wireless.

Hi Randy,

I believe weā€™re working on building UPnP into the Connect app, but for the meantime, you can use third party apps such as MConnect or 8Player - Iā€™ve just tested both on my pair with my Innuos Zen Mini, both working great (user interface preferences between the two aside).

Thanks for the tip. I loaded M-connect and it is working fine. Is it your preference between the two you are using? As an early adopter of the Wireless II the tradeoff is that I do not get a fully finished product :-). I was a previous owner of the original Wireless LS50 and the new model is an improvement over the original in two significant ways. First of all the streaming capability is much more robust and capable. I was only able to stream hi-res files reliably via wi-fi with a strong 5G signal. When I had to move my system to another part of my house that did not pick up this signal so well I had to use an ethernet connection to get the streamer to work. The new unit appears oblivious to the location and strength of my wi-fi signal. I am streaming hi-res content without a single issue. Secondly the sound quality. I immediately noticed an increase in clarity. I am discovering more nuanced improvements the more I listen. I am glad I made the upgrade, I just wish the app had been finished and the roon issue had been resolved before the product was released. But I am confident these issues will be fixed.

8Player is the one Iā€™m used to, as it worked with my Chord MojoPoly when out and about - I think I was probably caring more about the ā€˜getting it workā€™ aspect to really make notes about the UI/UX. Canā€™t remember if I had tried MConnect at the time. I just downloaded it for this test to check UPnP playback.

Really appreciate you being an early adopter (Iā€™m surprised that thereā€™s so many out in the wild already!), especially as an owner of the previous generation - youā€™ve got first hand experience there of the improvements weā€™ve made both in the platform (hardware/firmware/software) and the acoustic side. LS50 Wireless was the first product to be released when I joined KEF and I was bowled over by it when played during my last interview. This new one has taken that feeling skywards for me, personally. Really excited about LS50 Wireless II.