When will KEF LS50 Wireless II be Roon Ready? [They are now!]

We’re joking :+1:

1 Like

hahahahh… But you got me for a moment… :grinning: I have the Nocturne version …

No, this is a really serious problem! Colour wavelength can badly distort the MQA algorithms!

I just took delivery of a pair of the LS50 Wireless II yesterday. I concur with the other owners, they are very easy to setup (wired or wireless) and sound pretty good for what they are. I can’t get ROON to work even though it is listed under ROON, but as soon as I click on Enable, it tells me that they are not certified.

What I would LOVE to see is if a new firmware upgrade can give us parametric eq, and allow REW to integrate with it.

Behind the LS50WII is the Dutch&Dutch 8C:

2 Likes

Nope. Red is louder!
See: https://mediatum.ub.tum.de/doc/1082448/590960.pdf

It’s a bit early yet I guess, but how does the mid/treble compare between the two?

Without ROON, I only used AirPlay last night.
With ‘simpler’ music, the LS50WII are VERY good for what they are. My 8C are tuned (with REW) so it was not a fair comparison last night. The mids are very good, the highs are not quite as airy and extended as I hoped. I really need to wait for ROON support in order to put them on equal footing for a comparison.

1 Like

it does, as Airplay

I must say I would have expected better from Roon and KEF on this. These speakers are touted as being one of the major product announcements of the year and it strikes me as a pity that some urgency hasn’t been applied by both parties to get compliance before launch. IMHO it is up to the Roon executives to drive this…

1 Like

Why Roon? Surely the manufacturer has total control over product development. I would hope KEF would provide the product to Roon within reasonable timescales &, if serious about certification, release the product once certification has been awarded.

The situation looks exactly like the type of situation that prompted the following thread:-

Uncertified Roon Ready Devices

I am actually curious if KEF will run into the same issue as Dutch & Dutch to make the LS50WII ROON capable. Dutch&Dutch came out to say that to make the pair to work with ROON and sync perfectly, it is quite the challenge. With the KEF being wireless, it may be an even bigger challenge.

It’s not a question of who has ‘control’…it’s about people working together to produce a result which satisfies their existing customers and helps recruit new ones.

2 Likes

I would suggest that in the thread, in my previous post, Roon have demonstrated their willingness to co-operate with the manufacturers to ensure that certification is completed in a timely manner.

I purchased a “Roon ready” product two years ago from a highly reputable manufacturer which, despite reassurances of imminent certification, still has not been certified. Recent correspondence with that manufacturer resulted in the same “reassurances.”

Roon have gone out of their way to ensure that my equipment (& many other’s equipment) still functions fully. KEF have subsequently released a “Roon Ready” product which is not fully functional in Roon. That is KEF’s choice but they should take sole responsibility for that decision and any fallout that occurs as a result.

1 Like

Yes, but D&D talks about syncing the pair via their ethernet connections where each unit has it’s own ethernet cable to a switch/router. This is really challenging. If you use AES/EBU to one speaker and link the other with a AES/EBU cable + the terminator plug, you will have perfect sync between L/R. Some time ago there existed a 8c beta-firmware that had RAAT working that way. Stereo RAAT to one speaker and AES/EBU to the other. The pair Kal Rubinson used for the Stereophile test had this firmware.
The LS50WII receives both channels on the main speaker and passes one channel over to the other.

1 Like

That version sounds calming, almost a little sleepy :wink:

1 Like

The red one sounds aggressive and the white one sounds bland :joy:

i know a few ppl have said about MQA on the Kef LS50 wireless 2 ive managed to get MQA streaming through chromecast with full MQA, you just need to enable it in the settings on the chromecast connection to the LS50, if you go into device setup and change MQA capabbilites to Decoder and Render it then sends the MQA steam over to the LS50’s

Thank You Matthew !

My new Wireless II will arrive next week, can’t wait for the full Roon-cert., could some of Wireless II Owners tell if AmazonMusicHD works up to 192./24 with the App?

TIA,

– Bernd

The app can play my 192/24 albums although there is no indication in the KEF app on what is actually being output by the speaker (whether playing 192/24 or downsampled).

That would be a nice improvement to the app for a future update. The original Amazon Music app does a nice job showing hardware capability, song resolution and what is actually being played so it shouldn’t be hard to add it to the KEF app.

1 Like