When will KEF LS50 Wireless II be Roon Ready? [They are now!]

Bernd…your experience with the LS50II pretty much matches mine. Yes the app is much better and the streaming capability in general seems more robust and seamless than the previous version. The short comings of the app would absolutely be a total non-issue if the LD50WII was Roon Certified. The reliance upon the KEF app in the absence of Roon exposes the short comings of the KEF app. I wonder why Roon certification is still in limbo. Seems to me this would have been addressed from the get go when re-designing and developing the WII and would have been accomplished by now.

Fully agree - this should have been sorted before launch of the new speakers if they planned on associating their product with Roon’s credentials. A statement of intent is just not good enough! In the absence of certification, I would have thought that regular communication from both companies on their progress would build confidence and ensure that the matter remained at the top of their development schedules.

I bought a pair of these this week along with the Kef stands. They are not able to be recognized properly by Roon yet, as in “Roon Certified”. They do however show up as available in Roon as “LS50” as AirPlay. So you can still use them with the Roon app. The KEF Connect app in IOS does allow you to steam Qobuz to them, which I subscribe to. KEF has not been too straightforward regarding using the Roon Certified verbiage in their advertising and manual. If you do not read carefully it seems as if they are already there. My understanding is that the KEFs are already capable but it is up to Roon to recognize them inside their app. I assume that will then allow their proprietary RAAT protocol to work.

The good news is that, this all said, they sound great just hooked up via ethernet to my LAN with my Roon server. My wife walked in and the first thing she said was that she thought I was listening to my regular system. This is big because I could potentially sell off much more equipment than these speaker cost and they are not even using Roon properly. While I am waiting for Roon to work this through I will probably try using the SPDIF coax output from my AudioLinux Roon endpoint directly into the KEFs.

Simple multiroom system

When using LS50 Wireless II with Airplay 2, Chromecast or Roon (coming soon) you can stream to multiple speakers around your home at the same time. By using multiple LS50 Wireless II speakers, you can have a simple, high-performance multiroom system.

• Coming soon

Anyone have insight into the Roon “Coming Soon” part?

Roon does not comment on those things. Nobody else would know.

If there is no major EM interference on that CAT5 run, I do not see how 50ft will cause any problems.

1 Like

I was able to get the SPDIF coax out from my Audiolinux Endpoint/Mutec USB front end. This allows me to have a proper RAAT endpoint. It certainly sounds good. With only 1 day on the speakers they need to loosen up a bit.

I am really looking forward to Roon finishing up their certification so that I can compare!..and simplify more.

I would guess as more of these speakers get out among the Roon users this issue will become less abstract and the inconvenience will be more real and owners will not be as patient as we have been thus far. People will start demanding timeframes. “Coming soon” is pretty vague.

I agree. They are playing pretty loose with the whole “Coming Soon” promo.

The good news is that on Day 2 the KEFs have moved from “nice” to really good. I also found out that I prefer the wireless connection between the speakers over the wired one. I would have never guessed that.

The only way people can start demanding timeframes is to not buy the speakers until they are certified as Roon Ready. Once you have paid your money, you have no leverage to demand anything.

3 Likes

*coming soon for me is within 2 month after first deliveries to customers, max. 3 month. So I hope we get there before christmas.

While Roon is my first goto use for the LS50 Wireless II, I can use them now with other services, that’s OK with me, so I have bought these with confidence that KEF and/or Roon will deliver.

Does anyone know if the new HDMI input on these is CEC capable i.e. can control volume with TV remote?

from the manual:

Yup, it’s CEC capable - just might have to go menu diving to enable it in the TV’s settings.

Got my pair of brand new KEF LS50 wireless II on last Friday. Must say, I am really disappointed not to be able to connect them in ROON. I saw John Darko´s YouTube video upfront, where he clearly had connected his speakers to ROON and praised that. Issued a question to KEF Germany. They came back and blamed ROON for taking too long for the certification.

Must say it is no good business hehaviour of RONN to put throuhg their llicense rights on the back of the users.

Regards
Burkhard

1 Like

Fully agree…I’ve cancelled my order until we hear something definite…

1 Like

It’s very frustrating

I sense increasing frustration which I hope KEF are noting! For those experienced users of this technology, could someone please confirm whether the Mark 1 KEFLS50W speakers were ever “Roon Ready”?

I’m I missing something, there website says coming soon for Roon integration. Why is everyone bitching about this.

1 Like