Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

The same here … with a Nuc10i3/16GB ram …

1 Like

Are you using the advanced ASDM7ECv2 modulator? Or even the ASDM5ECv2 modulator? These need a lot of CPU that the NUC just doesn’t have. If you are going to run HQPlayer with DSD, you really want something more than a NUC.

With ASDM7ECV2 or ASDM5ECv2 I can go up to DSD128, but with ASDM7 or ASDM5 I can go up to DSD512 (1x = gauss-long and Nx = gauss-long-hires)

2 Likes

While ECv2 is nice, non-EC hasn’t suddenly become rubbish :smiley:

Still sounds really great, especially if you have a DAC that can convert DSD to analogue ‘directly’ (which rules out all ESS based DACs since you can’t by-pass ESS chip modulator)

2 Likes

Plain old Dell Desktop (i5 10400, 12 gb RAM) running Ubuntu Jammy minimal server with HQP 4.32.5 embedded and Jussi’s custom kernel 5.15.71.
It can do EC’s up to DSD256, non EC to 1024 with most filters. I like pushing the limits. Even my ultraRendu that says max DSD 512 can pass DSD 1024 with a decent network setup

3 Likes

I am currently using Gustard R26, and I am not really sure what bit depth to choose for my PCM upsampling. Can anyone enlighten me? I’ve done research, but only found that most R2R dacs are best performing at between 19-20 bits.

1 Like

16 bits ?

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.
Didn’t know there was a measurement lol.

2 Likes

I get intermittent half sec pauses (around after 30 sec) while playing 48x music using ASDM7ECv2 DSD512x48

When I using Shaper AMSDM7EC + 512+Fs is stable

It won’t happen with non 48x files and it happens on ifi NEO iDSD, won’t happen on DAC-60

So answer is to use AMSDM7EC + 512+Fs right?

Any ideas? Many thanks

So that includes DAC-60 right ? ES90162KM ESS chips?

Same NAA or a different one? Doing 48k multiple takes a bit more CPU time compared to 44.1k multiples.

Some of my hardware is also so close to the limits that I have locked output rate to 44.1k multiple for both source families to keep playback stable.

2 Likes

Seems I was doing something wrong. Because this is my first setup on PC intel, can you please check if this is ok? At DSD512 is not dropping SEC7v2

CPU i71200K
RAM 16 GB
Windows 10

Edit:
I clicked on Multicored DSP and grey out CUDA (which I don’t know how to check on the graphics card) seems very stable, no drops at DSD512.
(Accidentally deleted the previous post)

Much appreciated your advice Master Jussi as well as @dabassgoesboomboom Master too!

Using ASDM7ECv2 modulator on ifi NEO iDSD at DSD512. Highly CPU processing demanding filters but worthy of listening. Lots of presence on music

3 Likes

Back in the game with DSD512x48 on ifi NEO iDSD with CPU at 40% on ASDM7ECv2 modulator.

Seems all stable and smooth. Now I understand the importance of a good switch on the network that might had been the reason for sudden random drops before.

Edit: Still novice and curious :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

@jussi_laako what shaper would you recommend using when upsampling PCM 32x on an Ares II? I have set the dac bits to 16 and switching between LNS15 and TPFD at the moment.

LNS15 is good shaper for higher rates, for example 16x and 32x.

1 Like

This thread gets pretty uninteresting when everyone’s using the same filter :upside_down_face:

So far nothing has been able to dethrone poly-xtr-short-lp for me.

1 Like

I’m not sure why, but I seem to keep going back to sinc-Lm ASDM7ECv2 DSD512. :notes: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve tried xtr-short-lp/mp every now and then. For me, they always bother my ears (more pressure and slight aching) very quickly. Gear, room, and hearing ability no doubt, I find the gauss filters more pleasant. Personal preference for sure.
I rotate between two dacs, Denafrips Pontus II (R2R), and Ifi Neo DSD (Bit Perfect filter). All pcm music to DSD256 using mostly ASDM7ECV2. Both, confirm for me anyway that the gauss filters are long term keepers.

2 Likes